A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Transparent

Transparent

How can I make a photo that I have already saved with a white background have a transparent background. I already tried erasing the background.

Got a problem with my footer?

are you saying the eraser didnt work when you tried erasing the background? what program are you using? how are you saving it? is there only one layer and is it locked?
    maybe.

I am using Photoshop. I Erased the background by using the wand and then pressing delete. And then i went to file, save as, thing.jpg or w/e.

-duc

Aright, if you're going to go at it like that. What you need to do is , after you open the picture, go to the floating window/palette where it will show one layer with the image on it, that is locked [designated by a little lock].

double click the layer and a little window will popup, than press enter, and the layer will be unlocked. now go ahead and do what you were doing before with magic wand and erase the background.

when you see the background has a grey and white checkered look to it, that means its transparent.

from here you have basically 2 choice. first of all, jpeg's are unable to be saved with transparent backgrounds, so you can either save it as a .gif or a .png. if you are sending the image over the web a .gif will be your best bet, but the drawback is that it can only hold 256 colors in it. a .png can hold millions but the file size will be bigger.
    maybe.

Originally posted by No-Tec
    Aright, if you're going to go at it like that. What you need to do is , after you open the picture, go to the floating window/palette where it will show one layer with the image on it, that is locked [designated by a little lock].

double click the layer and a little window will popup, than press enter, and the layer will be unlocked. now go ahead and do what you were doing before with magic wand and erase the background.

when you see the background has a grey and white checkered look to it, that means its transparent.

from here you have basically 2 choice. first of all, jpeg's are unable to be saved with transparent backgrounds, so you can either save it as a .gif or a .png. if you are sending the image over the web a .gif will be your best bet, but the drawback is that it can only hold 256 colors in it. a .png can hold millions but the file size will be bigger.

Works! THX