A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 2G technology

2G technology

Know someone who wants to have animated ring tones for mobile phones using 2G technology, asked if I could do such a thing, said I'd look into it. There's really not very much info to find.

It needs to work on GPRS, which is classed as 2.5g and not 3G (third
    generation mobile networks).

Does anyone know much about this area??, I know you can download templates for the Nokia 9200 series, though thats all I know.

??

very grey area

what do you mean by "animated ring tones"?

Its my understanding that a phone will rely upon its own built in ringtone application for playing "media" upon phone ring. This is its default behavior.

So far, all I've ever scene for ringtone support are audio related formats.

Assuming a given phone can play a SWF, how would you enable the phone to play the SWF specifically when the phone rings?

Can you somehow bypass the phones's default phone ring event behavior to play sound and use SWF instead, and can you do this programatically or is this a feature the user must configure manually in the phone?

My guess is you cannot at this time use SWF as a ringtone, but who knows.

Hi hp3,

This is an idea which a friend of mine in the telecommunications industry was thinking about, didn't know if it was poss, so asked me as I do animation.

Mobile devices are very new to me, though I did think it probably wouldn't be poss.

He basically came up with the idea of have an animation which come up when the phone rings. You can download ring tones from the internet at the moment, he was looking into the future. If it is or becomes possible with the new phones it would be a lucrative market.

He's been looking into the GPRS (2.5g) market seeing as the 3G phones are likely to be slow due to royalty issues between
    the mnile networks, content suppliers and the software houses that
    develop the software thats on the mobiles.

see ya

HI everyone;
    i'm not new to flashkit, but i'm really impressed to see this room for first time, i work on animation, but studied Telecom. specially 3G.

lets try to analyze this problem more.

Why can't play animation while the fone rings??

i think this not related to 3G or GPRS, it's more related to fone settings, i mean we know we can set ring tones to some group of ppl or someone special, hopefully in the future, this feature should be upgraded to , play multimedia -instead of ringtone, fones like my fone the nokia 6600 recognizes multimedia files (images, videos), but I’m not sure if you can assign a foto to someone to show up while he's calling you, but i heard that siemens installed that feature in one of its fones.

so it's already there, i mean assigning multimedia files to calls, so i don't think it is related to the networks, or fones, it's more related to what fone manufacturers want, they can do it, but i think they are waiting to bring it out as a major upgrade, so they can sell new fones-maybe.

this is just my 2c
    http://www.webrhinostudios.com

I beleive that Qualcomm CMX can be used as a mult-media ringer with both graphics and sound, on supporting phones.