A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Lost

Lost

Just got the swishmax trial, and have managed to get 8 pictures to fly onto the screen the way I want, but now I am lost.

I want these pictures to now be buttons that on click go to a new page, and on rollover bring a different picture to the front in another area of the screen.

I tried copying Scene 1, and removing all the animations, and coverted the pictures to buttons, but when I run the movie it just jumps between the start and end really quick.

I have been trying to figure out the script but it seems like maybe some changes were made to the program after the help was written? Is there any updated help files and tutorials?

Why do all the tutorials get errors on opening and have to rename things? Also am I looking at the wrong one, or is the "First.swi" sample already in the done state?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Wow. That's a lot of questions. Lets see if I get them all right....

Let's go back to Scene 1, because so far I don't see a need for a Scene 2. Convert the pictures into buttons. The motion actions will still work. Using the button's Over state, we'll make other things appear on screen without using a new scene.

Make sure there is a Stop action at the end of the scene.

Select one of the buttons and check the box Has separate over state on the Button Panel. Expand the button (if necessary) to see the Up/Down/Hit State and Over State buttons below the main object on the Outline Panel.

Right-click on the picture in the Over State and select Convert->Convert to Sprite. Expand teh new sprite so you can now see the sprite timeline in the timeline panel. If you've never used sprites before, you can read Sprites 101 to understand what they are and what they do.

Now, you can add anything to the sprite that you want to see when you rollover the button. The object can be anywhere on the stage and does not need to be near teh button. You can add whatever effects you want to animate the object, including scripts to make the animation loop.

I've attached a sample movie below that has only 4 buttons and only 2 are programmed. You can practice on the other 2 without damaging your current movie.

Welcome to Max!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    While changing my profile, I accidentally clicked the link that said
    "Add 'Dead Rabbit' to your Ignore List"
    so now I can't talk to myself anymore...

The Repository -:- The Forum

Thanks for the reply

Sorry for trying to string that many questions in one post. When you are trying to learn something questions never seem to be in shortage.

I have done what you said, and it is working good, except I forgot to mention one thing. When I have the new picture fade in, I also want one of the existing pictures that is in the same spot to fade out.

Do I need to go to a script for this or ??

Thanks again for your help. It is nice to have such a great forum.

Fort Collins, CO ~In step with the steppe
    I'm just jumping in un-invited and didn't read all of the question.

How do you like this idea. I used Tell Target to fire up some sprites on rollover and roll out.

You can see it in action at

http://aaacambriamotel.com/terry/

Click on Directions and rollover the Point of Interest Icons.
    —Flash Buddy
    ------------------------------------
    Real Life Has No Reset Button
    Secure Affordable Web Hosting

Now it's my turn for interjection.

Tell target transform
    In swishmax operates under....
    Statements Var=Expression.

Thanks Flashhq. By seeing that it made me go looking for the ability to order things, and by sending the original picture to the back it now allows the new one to fade in over the top.

Sorry Frets I know you are talking about scripts, but it reads like Greek to me. I am having a hard time understanding much of anything with scripts.

Written for Swish v2.01, Faking Variables in Swish is pretty useful, even in Max for making menu options and sprites work together.

You may want to read Sprites 101 and Tell Target Does What?? first to get a basic understanding of the concepts.
    While changing my profile, I accidentally clicked the link that said
    "Add 'Dead Rabbit' to your Ignore List"
    so now I can't talk to myself anymore...

The Repository -:- The Forum

Objects can have motion via two methods.

SFX Effects which functions operate in the scene timeline

Transform action which operates thru swish script.
    Transform is not as open ended (cascading effects)
    as sfx.
    Sometimes one wants to use transform action because it does not
    interfer with the timeline events and can be controlled via controllers.

take a look at this swi
    when you export it use the cursor keys on your keyboard
    to movie the sprite
    Attached Files Attached Files