A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Links don't work

Links don't work

I may sound stupid...

But i did the site by making every subpage in a single scene. Now, i want al the scenes to link to eachother. But that's not working, does anyone have a clue what it could be.

I tried the stop action on the first scene, so it doesn't go on. But nothing else is going on either.

I'm not that experienced with Swish... it's my first site that i'm building.

Hi Chaoschrist,

Welcome to Swish Help Forum.

If I understand what you are saying...... you have several subpages and each subpage has a scene of its own and you would like them to be linked together.... ?

If my understanding is right.... this is easy to do. I have enclosed a sample for you to see the action/scritping in order for this to happen.

Basically, you just place an action on each link and a "gotoSceneAndPlay" to the scene you would like. For example:

on (release) {
    gotoSceneAndPlay("Scene_1",1);
    }

or

on (release) {
    gotoSceneAndPlay("Scene_2",1);
    }

The example will show you how. It is in SwishMax. If you have Swish 201 and not SwishMax let me know and I'll do an example in 2.01.

Hope this helps.

Blessings

JWR
    Attached Files Attached Files
    When all is said and done -- "You MUST be Born Again!" John 3:3

I have swish 2.0 (but i think the command should be the same)

Well, anyway... it's like.. 8 places on the main page, which should display another scene (each seperatly) if you move over it. But you were close

Thank anyway

Here ya go and example in Swish 2.01 with the actin changed from on release to on Mouseover.

You would use the same action coding for each place you would like your mouse over to take a visitor to a new scene.

If this still doesn't help, you could post your swi and let us know exactly what you would like and we could make some suggestions.

Hope this helps.

Blessings

JWR
    Last edited by jwr; 11-05-2003 at 05:21 PM.

The example you made is exactly what i mean. I tried to rebuild it like this, and it didn't work. Maybe my Swishfile is corrupted or so.. i don't know.

The scenes i need to link are Crew, Gigs, Lyrics, Forum, Contact, Bio, Picz and Newz, in this order, starting from the top spike

Cause i can't upload it here, i put it on my webspace, accessed here

http://members.home.nl/franssenmjm/Temp/

Thanx...

Hi Chaoschrist,

I downloaded and had a look at your file. I made a few changes and it works now.

It might be good to print this out so you can follow the guidelines as you do them.

For file size I have deleted a number of the scenes and left the "Main" scene there for you to see what I have done.

You have a "lot" of buttons .... I only did the buttons on the "Main" scene. All the rest are simply repitition and should be easily accomplished by yourself.

Changes that made it work:

1. Ungroup each set of buttons in each scene
    2. Placed a "stop" action on frame 0 on each scene
    3. Assigned a "On mouseover" effect to each button in "Main" scene see example.
    4. It works.

You will need to do this on your original file and on each button. Back it up first... just in case.

to assign an action to a button:

1. Hightlight button by clicking on it once
    2. On the far right of your screen click on:
    Actions>Add Event>
    On(Roll Over)> Go to 0 of Gigs (or whatever scene you want)

You will need to do this in every scene for each button. Don't forget if you arrive at the Lyrics scene and the buttons there have not be "actioned" you won't go anywhere until they are.

Example showing changes in "Main" scene only enclosed.

Hope this helps.

Blessings

JWR
    Last edited by jwr; 11-05-2003 at 09:00 PM.

Forgot the file.

Here it is:

Thanx... i got it working now, although... i feel stupid now... on the subpages, and on the mainpage, there's supposed to happen something when i click them. I left all actions out of order now, even on your example, but i don't get that working now. Probably i'm just to plain stupid to make this thing work. Thanx again for your example, but like.. yeah, i'm screwing up again

Hi Chaoschrist,

Sometimes trying to get the effect and finsihed product that you wuld like can be a challenge. For me... patience is not always easy to come by. But stick with it and the rewards will come.

In your movie..... if you want something to happen when you click on the buttons you would just need to add an action to indicate so.

For example just hightlight a button/link and then press:

Actions>Add Action
    On(release)
    Goto Frame 0 of Scene (put the name of the scene here)

When your visitors click on and "releases" this link they will then be taken to whatever scene you have put in place here.

Here's a thot.... "if" all your buttons are basically the same from scene to scene .... just make the buttons in your "Main" scene fully functional... with all the on(release) and On(Roll Over) etc and then just copy and paste these buttons into the rest of your scenes.

Actually, that is what I did when I was testing yhour file to see if it worked. You would need, of course, to delete the present buttons in the other scenes before pasting your new buttons in place.

"Don't forget to make a backup before editing your file."

Your site is quite involved with the many buttons you have..... but hang in there you'll get it finished and you'll be proud of it.

Take it step by step and one step at a time.

If you have further questions feel free to post them.

Hope this helps.

Blessings

JWR
    Last edited by jwr; 11-06-2003 at 12:44 PM.

Just wanna let you know, that i'm almost done with the site now, it finally worked.. now to include some javascript, but i'll figure it out. Thanx dude...

Glad to be of help.

JWR