A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: photorealism in flash

photorealism in flash

I just thought I would drop a thread and see if there are any talented illustrators using Flash here. If so, I'd love to see your work. Check out my vector illustrations created in Flash.

http://www.vectorkid.com

-vectorkid

I've been using your tutorials for years VectorKid.

Re: photorealism in flash

Originally posted by vectorkid
    I just thought I would drop a thread and see if there are any talented illustrators using Flash here. If so, I'd love to see your work. Check out my vector illustrations created in Flash.

http://www.vectorkid.com

-vectorkid
    Tomato: great work guy!
    Now i have basic tutor about painting in my Flash MX.
    I dont have experience with vector painting.
    Thanks a lot!
    Jan
    I like all FLASH fans, but my girl can't stand them.
    -------------------------------------------
    I am still learning
    Sorry for my stupid questions (sometimes) and bad English.

Hi vectorkid,

I'm busy on a vectorimage at the moment.Tell me what you think so far.
    It's the first time I'm trying to make a vector with smooth blending.

I do things in illustrator.Flash is better for these realistic traces?
    Maybe I should have a good look at the style you use;-)

Have you ever used your pics for print?If i export one off your pics to illustrator I can't get the image in CMYK.Because off the gradients.So you export them back to photoshop then...Tell me.

Grtz,
    Attached Images Attached Images

untold story of the vector

Honestly you are very ambitious for your first vector illustration (human face). It looks a bit messy, like a combination of trace bitmap and gradients made in Illustrator. Start off simple, like draw a plastic ball or cup.

Is Smooth Blending a feature in Illustrator? I can recall the new version of Illustrator lets you create crazy shaped gradients which is great but exported out of Illustrator and it converts it to raster.

Illustrator is a great print publishing tool but it lacks artistic vector tools as what Flash has. I have used my vector illustrations for print but Illustrator and Quark will not translate Flash alpha gradients so I have to export my work as 300 dpi pngs and convert to the printer's requested raster file format.

I have found a book that is coming out early next year which covers the ins and outs of vector illustration in Flash. It is highly anticipated and long over due. It is good to find others interested in illustrating in Flash.

-vectorkid

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...lance&n=507846

Hi vectorkid,

Thx for the honest comment:-).I can only get better from it.

I'ts actually not my first attempt at vector illustration.But the first one on smooth
    blending. Or maybe this is the wrong word for it.It's a feathure thats been in illustrator since version3.It'sl like drawing to chapes.Clikking the 2 shapes creates the smooth gradients between the 2 shapes(colors).

So you think the hole pic sucks?Still working on it.But yes maybe Ishould use a different style for the hair.I should use gradients that are masked or ...?

You have the isdn number off that book?Then I can buy it in my local store.

You've got the latest issue of comuterarts?There's a tutorial on vectortracing.Don't know if they talk about tracing in flash.

Ambitious yes we are!

Here's another pic I made a while a go.But a totally different style of tracing.
    I like to see some more traces from you.You have any traces of people?

Grtz
    Attached Images Attached Images

tracing

Well I do not mean to dis your vector pic and I do not think it sucks. It all depends what your intent is for drawing it. If it is to replicate a photo image then yes it is lacking. If that is your intent then I would suggest a different approach.

No I do not trace. I am facinated with illustrating period and being able to reproduce a realistic looking image with vectors in flash is amazing. But if you do that by tracing a photography then there is nothing amazing about that and especially if your using an automated feature in a program to convert it for you then I find that just lazy. But this is all my opinion. You can agree with it or not.

You stated "we" who else is illustrating in Flash besides yourself? Are you illustrating in Flash or just sticking to Illustrator? The tomato tutorial on my site shows a better approach to illustrating in Flash. Start with the basics and add more detail as you go. All the work I have now is what you see on my site. But when my book comes out, the one I mentioned earlier, it will contain many detailed tutorials and exampling a lot of concepts and techniques.

-vectorkid

Vectorkid-

That is seriously amazing stuff. i had no idea such amazing work could be done in flash. Very inspiring.

Your tutorials are also tops. i'm having a lot of fun with the basics right now. look forward to many more tutes in the future

edit: your book? are you writing/have you written the one you linked to on amazon?
    Last edited by Future_Man; 11-06-2003 at 05:10 PM.
    blatantly ill like lobster yams.

book

Thank you for the kind words, Future_Man.

The link I provided earlier to the Illustrating in Flash book on amazon is the book I am working on, which will be released sometime early next year. The book will be very comprehensive on the topic and will contain all new tutorials. I am looking forward to amaze people again and hope to reach a bigger audience.

-vectorkid

Keep in mind VectorKid this is the "Art and Anime" section. Most of us are trying to keep our animation low in byte weight. Maybe the "Design" section is more slanted towards strictly the illustrators. But again, I've used your tutorials and I think they have added depth and something intangible to my animation. Thanks for sharing on your site.

First of all photorealism in flash, the act of illustrating in flash is directly related to Art, not Design. You have to understand that.

The talent and the knowledge required to paint/draw/illustrate something that is photorealistic in flash is Art. After all you take an Art class in school you are going to learn how to draw. If you take a design class in school your going to be taught how to position different element in space based on what you are trying to communicate. Now of course I am generalizing both of these topics and they are both deep subjects. The topics of Art, Design, and Animation are theirown beast and a Designer may not know how to draw and vice versa. So when you say this thread should be in the Design section I totally disagree.

I understand your concern with keeping animations in low file size, my current work on my site is definitely guided towards illustrating. Although I do have a degree in Computer Animation and have knowledge of animaton fundimentals and techniques. In my book I have a chapter on Animatoin Techniques in Flash which covers their use for web and online games.

Gotta get back to work - vectorkid

It was just a suggestion, because many that post frequently in the design formum are illustrators for the print medium.