A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows / Mac

Windows / Mac

I was thinking about getting a new computer soon, as this darn celeron processor is getting a bit dated now, and it is frustrating having a super broadband connection, but having to wait twice as long as 56k users do to veiw web pages. I've always used window, and have only ever touched a mac a few times, and that was a good 5 / 6 years ago now. The mac I played around with then couldn't do anything more than type up letters and make 'sketches' in a very early adobe product.

But after visiting PC world the other day, I was amazed to see today's super computers. The mac's were fascinating. Transparent speakers, great video quality and a funky mouse which looked like a bar of soap .

Also after seeing some of the desktops this months, macs seem to have changed so much. I don't know whether to chose mac or windows. There's thouasands of thing you can do on windows that you cant on mac, and I've spent all my life using window ... everything will be so different using a mac.

What are the advantages and disadvantages ... ? ... And what's the average price for a decent mac ?

Thanks.
    Last edited by lukesquall; 11-09-2003 at 05:47 PM.

FK's Official A&A Addict
    stay on windows. chances are you won't get alot out of a mac as you did with windows and you'll just be regretting it.

MACs are over-rated. if you are using your machine for professional reasons, stay with windows...

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Originally posted by justice strike
    chances are you won't get alot out of a mac..
    examples?

Hi guys...

Coke or Pepsi?
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

Pepsi.

FK's Official A&A Addict
    Originally posted by erova
    examples?
    well if you have spent your whole life using windows going to a mac isn't that easy. you just wouldn't know where to get those tools that you can find so easily in windows.

FK's Official A&A Addict
    oh and pepsi all the way

stay with windows, software works allways, you don't have to buy mac stuff and be disappointed that the xsoftware is not made for mac. PC is cheaper to build your self.

mac is over rated!!

FK's Official A&A Addict
    Originally posted by PCRIDE
    stay with windows, software works allways,
    lol that's a first. don't think that the software always works.... especially if you use some exotique devices like say... tv tuner cards, netmd or other exotique usb things

Always Coca-Cola

Buy a Mac.

coke is better with meals, pepsi is better standalone

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Always Twirling Toward Freedom pooon's Avatar
    Get a pc with win xp and download a mac os skin. Then you'll have the best of both worlds, except you'll actually have a good selection of software to choose from.

I have heard macs are awsome machines. They run well and are great machines all around. Along with some really cool features in panther like expose.

I like them a lot (planning on getting a G5).

But I have heard of major probles with flash... And being this a is a flash community, take into consideration there has been major slow downs with flash in the iMacs and such...

Now I don't Know about the recent G4's and G5's. Anyone else? Has apple/macromedia resolved that problem yet?

... Coke is better.

Well, I cant say much hence you didnt say anything on what you really wanted(are).

If you're a hardware/mod buff - but still like the conviences of thousands of software available for win - m$ all the way baby.

but...if you're a metrosexual trendy designer whore, who wouldnt know the difference between a bios chip and a processor on a motherboard - I say go mac. Just dont let the looks of it push you - you can get your PC as lickable of an interface as you want it to be. G5's shouldnt be too persuasive on you either - the new AMD's will substitute for the mac/ibm chip just as well.

Since you're posting this question to begin with, Im assuming you're not 1337, so im not advising linux .

Originally posted by fospher.com

but...if you're a metrosexual trendy designer whore, who wouldnt know the difference between a bios chip and a processor on a motherboard - I say go mac.
    Dooood, I know pc's extreemly well. The thing is, I keep having problems with them... So I always have to go back and fix my network/scanfor viruses/restart after I install a game/listen to a loud fan/set up my bios/ect. In other words I don't want to babysit my computer.

Just because macs are easy does not mean they were made for beginners. It means they are made to get the job done so you don't have to waste time with other crap.

Besides most of the programs I will be leaving behind on the pc I won't miss.

Getting a mac is getting the top of the line music media, video conferencing, best disply monitors. (iPod, iSight, cinema HD display)

They are efficent and though expensive, you are paying for what you get: top of the line.

Originally posted by robbmcaulay
    Hi guys...

Coke or Pepsi?
    Cheeseburger cheeseburger cheeseburger Pepsi no Coke.

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    Originally posted by pargoodgolfer
    [B]Dooood, I know pc's extreemly well. The thing is, I keep having problems with them... So I always have to go back and fix my network/scanfor viruses/restart after I install a game/listen to a loud fan/set up my bios/ect.
    well it sounds like you have very very cheap hardware, or you are little mistaken on the first 6 words of this statement.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    Designer? Developer? Gamer? You're relatively young so it's not like you've had bocoup de years of serious development within the Windows enviornment. If you don't have $1,000s of software that you'd have to buy Mac licenses of, you could go with the Mac... The switch wouldn't be too hard...

Originally posted by fospher.com
    but...if you're a metrosexual trendy designer whore, who wouldnt know the difference between a bios chip and a processor on a motherboard - I say go mac. Just dont let the looks of it push you - you can get your PC as lickable of an interface as you want it to be. G5's shouldnt be too persuasive on you either - the new AMD's will substitute for the mac/ibm chip just as well.
    Macs are made to work, out of the box. No problems, and the OS actually gets faster and more stable with each concurrent release. You won't need to worry about hunting around for buggy software to do basic things, since it mostly comes pre-equipped in the machine. But, if you want to be "l33t", you can easily hack away at the UNIX core and install things like XWindows.

Windows exists so guys like this can brag to his internet friends about how he saved soo much money cobbling together parts and spending months to build a working machine, only to spend the difference on neon lights and blinking diodes to make the ugly grey box at least semi-appealing.