A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2D Platformer Discussion...

Creator of Proximity
    There's plenty of people on this board trying to make a 2D platformer, and I'm one of them, so let's get some discussion going here shall we? (Translation: PLEASE HELP ME PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE).

First off, all you hardcore advanced programming veterans might want to leave, because I'm going to offend you: I'm not using array tile-based level design. I know how to do it, and have used it in the past, but I'm not going to use it for this game.

Secondly, before you can help me, take a look at the current build of the game: http://www.omnipen.net/clockmario/clockgame.htm

Also on there is the project outline and fla's for sloping platform accel/decel and my scroll engine's method.

Now I'm going to recode the engine. I'm planning on trying to learn OOE and using that, but I doubt I'll make much progress, since OOE has always made my head hurt in the past. I also haven't used any functions or arrays at all yet (I've used pseudo-functions, you know, using flash frames and separate symbols....yeah I know). I'm thinking about upgrading to Flash MX, since a few of the features appeal to me, but I haven't found any good resources that show you how to use the new AS junk in Flash MX yet. Anyone recommend good links/books?

Beyond that, I'm trying to work out a better collision detection method (right now, all objects have hitTests for the main character that loop every frame....yikes, I know... I'd rather put it in SBC's and the enemies loops instead, that way I can make the enemies more dynamic, chase you through the map, etc . So far, all I can think of is having one MC for all idle ground and having SBC, the enemies, etc. checking for that, but then my moving platforms and falling bricks don't get any love. So I'm kind of stumped there.

I also forgot everything I learned in my math and physics classes over the past 6 years, so even something as simple as determining the slope of the point of the platform you're on, and adjusting your velocity and then rotate the sprite so that it is perpendicular to that point is now beyond my ability. I don't have my old geometry textbooks either. I do have my Physics textbook though, but I always had a hard time understanding its equations. But I want this in the game very badly, and anyone who has any resources for me would be greatly appreciated

Finally, I want to open up my map so it can scroll in all directions, not just scroll right like in SMB1. Take a look at my scroll engine FLA to see how I can currently do it, and my project outline to see the two solutions I considered, but don't really know how to implement.

If no one can provide help or resources to these questions, I'll eventually figure them out or fudge it a bit, but maybe someone can give me an idea on how to do these. I'm going to keep this project open source (i.e. I won't protect it from ******* and I'll copy/paste AS for you if asked nice enough) almost all the way till its completion, so anyone who's learning themselves and wants to check out my code is more than welcome to look at it. It's messy though, I know. I was trying to make a full game in only 3 weeks, and so it got ugly real fast... now I'm taking my time and trying to redo it all so it looks, feels, and plays like a classic platformer Anyway, thanks in advance.

Well, I'm one of those advocators for tile-based platforming myself, but I have to say what you've done there is brilliant! I didn't get very far, but it was smooth, very playable, and (this is the best bit) the animation really has a great sense of weight. The artwork is well styled (could do without so many Mario rip offs though!) and all in all a very polished game. Which begs the question, why are you redoing it? I think it's fine as it is!

Doesn't the name say it all?
    It IS beautiful, *cries*
    I wish I could do such a smooth platformer...

And I think he did the ripoff thing on purpouse, for some abstract reason unknown, because he ripped of more that just Mario... And I would try to improve "Saiyan" mode... Instead of making him immobile, I would do a 1 second charge thing... Because timing those jump/glides in easy mode can get really difficult... Of course, it would prove a tad more difficult... Unless you had some kind of switch and an alternate layer for the energy field...

hi there... very VERY nice game, im not very good at actionscript but if i can help in anyway i will be more than happy...

i am working on a hitTest based platformer right now... learning things as i go along...

let me know what you think, it still has glitches but im just working things out before i finally iron out the creases! http://www.flashcity.co.uk/games.htm

all these games look good so far! i made this a couple weeks ago, hopefully ill get to work on it again soon.

http://www.angelfire.com/sd2/flashstuff/plat.html

left and right to move, up to jump, and space to shoot.

its pretty boring.

skate, thats pretty good, has potential to be very addictive!! keep it up!

hey, thanks! whoa, theres a lot of people making platform stuff.

And here's another non-tilebased 2d platformer:

http://www.nuspelen.nl/speelgoedland.htm

cableshaft>
    For the platforms, place them all in one big movieclip and use shapeflag hitTesting in the player MC. You can still have your moving and falling platforms inside the big platform MC without any problem.
    For the enemies, a hitTest for every enemy is still the best thing to do with a non-tilebased game. But to save processor power, you could place all your enemy MCs into one big MC and shapeflag hitTest against that. When that gives you a hitTest, do a normal hitTest for each enemy to see who was hit.
    For the slanted platforms: don't calculate anything, just specify a _rotation value that the platform sends to the player MC.

Olorin

Im also trying to make a platform game (trying to develop the engine first - though i doubt ill ever finish any private game hehe)

http://www.bird.se/fogelklou/mwk/kelly.htm

just ask anything if you wish - myself is a little curious about the moving platform code you had (havnt had time to try it out myself yet..)

and btw - how do you protect it from *******?? - asp/php and variables? or?
    [Edited by fogel on 09-26-2002 at 06:18 AM]

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    Really good!

There's a lot to be said for non-tilebased platform engines, I still haven't used tile-based programming in anything I've done so far.

Gaming Forever Dot Com
    I'm making a Super Mario game right now. You can view it at http://www.gamingforever.com .

Okies... Firstly the discussion part..

I am one for tilebased games.. If you can understand the concept behind them PROPERLY, then a tilebased engine will generally always be faster than object based. Then adding to that the speed and ease of creating levels for them, and the file size savings make tilebased games better..

Now.. for the game part.

http://www.squarecircleco.com/sped

this is my platform game.. at the moment i have 6 levels created. 2 boss levels and 7 enemies, I currently am finalising plans with shockwave.com who are buying this game from me, (they have already bought some of my games).

Its the general thing.. arrows control.. shift is to run, and space throws the bananas that you collect

also load up these levels if you feel like it (you cant get to them by playing thru the game yet)

ben2
    boss2

Well thats enuf from me.

Hey PrED32,

That game's really neat! Seriously cool.

How much do shockwave pay for a game like that? or do they work on a per impression basis?

It is atm a impression basis... which is quite small considering the ammount of trafic they get... its like 0.002 c a impression, something miniscule like that.. however that does bring in a bit... The most money comes with subscription, where people pay a small fee to play the game.

However Shockwave is changing there whole setup soon, I cant actually let that out, otherwise I'd be in deep sh|t

hi Pred,
    how did you do the graphics (character, tiles, enemies..)

Regards,
    Hamza.

Originally posted by PrED32
    However Shockwave is changing there whole setup soon, I cant actually let that out, otherwise I'd be in deep sh|t
    Errr... you just did

0.002 c an impression?

Jeez, so 1 million impressions pays you 1000 dollars?

That ain't much when you think about it.

Let the forum know when it's up, we'll all give you our 0.002 cents.

Nononono, thats the current system, paying on impressions and subscriptions, they are changing the system next month I beleive.

With the impressions, it may even be less hehehe.. Shockwave gets an obscene amount of traffic.

The graphics are done like any other... I used a combination of tilestudio (cause it had funky drawing tools) and photoshop.

thanks..

cheers.
    Hamza.

Sexy beast
    That RC can always kills me

Olorin and PrED32 ,your games are great.
    keep going...