A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Anyone have a Waldorf Education?

Anyone have a Waldorf Education?

Or have any experience with it?

I know it's a longshot but...

We are looking at preschools and my wife is interested in a Waldorf school here in town. I've done some reasearch myself, but i'm not convinced either way.

I'd be interested in hearing first-hand accounts from anyone who has experienced it.

Thanks,

d.
    dlowe93

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    I've had a Waldorf salad before - is that anything like the education?

I didn't feel dramatically smarter after finishing it, but I did get that smug 'I just ate something vaguely healthy' feeling.

Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Originally posted by hurricaneone
    I didn't feel dramatically smarter after finishing it,
    And your frame of reference was...?

Belive it or not, this is actually a serious question. I can't belive anyone out there in Flashkit land, especially our European friend, hasn't had any experience with Waldorf (and not the Salad, or hotel for that matter).

d.
    dlowe93

Banned by GMF ™
    FK´s Banning Machine

This is not the place to ask serious questions man.

Everyone here seems to be performing for the rest of the forum members.... it gets so tiring after a while.

I'd help if you I could, but from what you said, waldorf sounds like a preschool? I know of Montesouri preschool in the D.C. area... sort of a ritzy fun school for lil tykes.

Originally posted by marknovak
    This is not the place to ask serious questions man.
    Actually, Hurricane is not the one to get serious answers from. But i like him anyway.

I'd help if you I could, but from what you said, waldorf sounds like a preschool? I know of Montesouri preschool in the D.C. area... sort of a ritzy fun school for lil tykes.
    Waldorf is a style of education (K through 12) that originated in Germany in the 1920's and 30's. It's a very non-standard method of education, and the research that i've done shows that people either love it and say it's the best thing for their child or that it's a dangerous cult based around some creepy religion with white supremacist overtones. I haven't found much in between, which is why i'd love to hear first hand from anyone who's been through it.

d.
    dlowe93

Originally posted by dlowe93
    Actually, Hurricane is not the one to get serious answers from. But i like him anyway.
    Aw, that ain't right - you know I have my game face on in the Boardroom.

Dare I venture a guess and say that the Waldorf method was a product of the (soon-to-be) Third Reich?

Seriously - sounds like it, and that was the time period you mention was when Hitler was in his ascendency.

bee bop a loooba she's my baby, be bop a looba, she don't mean crazy.

erm, Waldorf = 3rd Reich is NOT the case

http://medlem.spray.se/thefreebee/waldorf/

I don't have any first-hand experience but the children of friends of my family went to a Waldorf school (in Germany). They all turned out pretty well-rounded individuals if you ask me.

The main question is probably how it fits in with your views on education, discipline and personal development. If you spend your weekend marching for the rights of the White American dressed in camo-gear or spend your nights dreaming of your kids as millionaire bankers, it's probably not for you...

Personally, I think they sound good and are definitely worth a try.

[edit]Also, my ex-gf works at a Montessori School in Hungary and her comment has always been that the system itself is great but it definitely isn't suitable for everyone. In particular, she always felt that students with behavioural problems needed more structure and support than the system would offer them. I know Waldorf isn't the same as Montessori but I think they have similar views on allowing pupils to choose what they would like to do.[/edit]

- n.
    Last edited by enemem; 11-18-2003 at 10:55 AM.

Originally posted by enemem
    erm, Waldorf = 3rd Reich is NOT the case
    Yeah, but Hurricane is still locked up in that bunker, so he sees Nazis everwhere. I think it's a side-effect of the medication.

The main question is probably how it fits in with your views on education, discipline and personal development. If you spend your weekend marching for the rights of the White American dressed in camo-gear... it's probably not for you...
    Hey, i live in South East Portland, not South East Oregon

I like a lot of the things about the philosophy, but i just can't get past the "not learning how to read until you're 8 or 9 years old" thing. I've heard that as long as you buy 100% into the method it's great, but if not, they don't flex much.

d.
    dlowe93

I'm a kindercare kid myself

KINDERCARE, I did building maintenace for those centers here. What crap holes, run down and they don't want to put any money into them(serious money anyway)/.

Originally posted by dlowe93 I like a lot of the things about the philosophy, but i just can't get past the "not learning how to read until you're 8 or 9 years old" thing. I've heard that as long as you buy 100% into the method it's great, but if not, they don't flex much.

d.
    I'm sure that's right about them not flexing very much, it's an ideology thing

I guess if your only worry is the reading, nothing can stop you from teaching your own children how to read.

By the way, are these schools very expensive?

- n

Originally posted by dlowe93
    Yeah, but Hurricane is still locked up in that bunker, so he sees Nazis everwhere. I think it's a side-effect of the medication.
    Meds... and too much Wolfenstein.

Waldorfenstein 3D - out soon!

Originally posted by enemem
    I'm sure that's right about them not flexing very much, it's an ideology thing

I guess if your only worry is the reading, nothing can stop you from teaching your own children how to read.

By the way, are these schools very expensive?

- n
    Yeah, that's part of the problem, my personal ideology is all about being flexible.

Unfortunately, cost might be the determining issue, it's twice the cost of any other school we've looked at.

d.
    dlowe93

Is there really such a thing as "too much" Wolfenstein though?

d.
    dlowe93

Originally posted by PCRIDE
    KINDERCARE, I did building maintenace for those centers here. What crap holes, run down and they don't want to put any money into them(serious money anyway)/.
    I was there as they changed over to children's world. Anything wrong with them?