A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: function that enables (play(2) ) one MC and disables the previous enabled one (f5)

function that enables (play(2) ) one MC and disables the previous enabled one (f5)

i want to write a function which does this:

it plays frame2 of the containerMC which relates to a VAR of the same name set before when a menu button was clicked.

and gotoAndStop(1); the container MC which was open before...

how do I do this?

hope i made myself clear

it plays frame2 of the containerMC which relates to a VAR of the same name set before when a menu button was clicked.
    The first part of this makes sense, but when you hit the word "relates" it is just totally incoherent. I think you mean:

It plays frame 2 of the containerMC, which relates to a variable which was previously set by the click of another button. Yes?
    The other day, I bought a box of animal crackers. On the side, it said "Do Not Eat if Seal is Broken". I opened the box and sure enough...

Yeah, you are spot on.

the instances of those container MCs have names like container1, container2 till 7

the VAR that is being set on clicking one of the 7 menu buttons on the _root, are named equal to those instance names... so containerVAR = container1

so basically with the function I want to do something like this:

CloseMC = Function();
    _root.[containerVAR].gotoAndPlay(2);

... and also I should set a VAR which contains the container MC which was opened before the new one... for example lastMC = container1,2 or whichever one was opened.

_root.[lastMC].gotoAndStop(1); // so this part should set the previous opened containerMC back to invisible, since on frame1 there is no content.

Makes more sense?

Thanks for your post in any case!

that should work shouldn't it... to use the var value(if equal to an instance name) in a path (so the _root.[varnameequaltoinstancename].gotoAndPlay(); )

code:
    CloseMC = Function();
    _root.[containerVAR].gotoAndPlay(2);

Should be:
    code:
    CloseMC = Function();
    _root[containerVAR].gotoAndPlay(2);

Also, have you tried to use if statements?
    code:
    if(containerVar==1){
    //actions when containerVar is 1
    }

The other day, I bought a box of animal crackers. On the side, it said "Do Not Eat if Seal is Broken". I opened the box and sure enough...