A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: attachMovie()

attachMovie()

ok say you got a big green circle movie clip on stage...and you attach a small red square button or movieclip to it at runtime using
    the attachMovie method. Also, suppose you set the on(rollOver) event for that small red square to change the alpha of the square...how come this doesnt work when you roll over the square? It seems the square is trapped inside the circle movieClip somehow. (only the on(rollOver) event for the circle works...please help!

This fla is for MX. Is this your problem?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    The other day, I bought a box of animal crackers. On the side, it said "Do Not Eat if Seal is Broken". I opened the box and sure enough...

attachMovie

Yes that is close! But, in my movie...I have circle.onRollOver = function()....blah blah blah try setting the onRollOver even for the circle, and the one for the square wont work anymore...its like it overrides it. Any suggestions??
    thanks

Try this. Makes the rollOver for the square and the circle equal.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    The other day, I bought a box of animal crackers. On the side, it said "Do Not Eat if Seal is Broken". I opened the box and sure enough...

dcdc

thats close, but I need just the square to change and nothing else...
    you see there will be many squares on this circle, and each one needs to register an onrollover differently. damn this is tricky. I cant find any tutorials that even acknowledge this problem. by the way, thanks for the help man!

mikell

ps. basically this is what needs to happen...when the user click on the circle...a square appears. the user can add many squares. (I've added collision detection so they cant add one on top another one.) so I got a bunch of squares attached to the circle, but I cant get any of them to register on the onRollOver event...

With my code, could you (or you could) add a code with something like...
    code:
    with("newSquare"+i){
    this.onRollOver=function(){
    //actions
    }
    }

nah thats not gonna work. it just seems that if you attach a movie to another movie, you cannot register any on(whatever) events with the attached movie if you hav an on(whatever) event registered with the movie which you are attaching to. It you can think of something though, I'm all ears! try attatching a little square to a big circle...setting on(rollOver) events for both

Hmm...I see your point.