A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: OS for mobiles?

OS for mobiles?

how many OS for mobile out there?
    i know windows and symbian, what else?
    http://www.webrhinostudios.com

ouh and which do you think is better?
    i've been reading about symbian, and i like how it is built, and how is it open on the future.
    http://www.webrhinostudios.com

Symbian
    MS Pocket PC
    MS Smartphone
    Palm OS
    Psion

Iforgot to mention embedded linux for mobile devices.

Symbian OS

hi there..little add..there are many different Symbian OS Devices, f. ex. Symbian S60, Symbian UIQ, Symbian S80, Symbian UIQ 3G, Nokia NGage S60 and other. You cant use a S60 file on UIQ device, there is another userinterface/navigation concept. UIQ is easier to handle, my experience. And different Flash Player versions available...sonic
    FLASH-mobile.de - Macromedia Flash on mobile devices

sonicFM,

from your experience with the Symbian devices, which of the Symbian platforms is the most likely candidate for the Flash Lite player?

It seems MM is already supporting a more sophiticated player for s80 communicator and the s60 Motorolla phone.

Do you think that MM will aim Flash Lite at newer s40 Symbian phones? or does it just depend upon the hardware of the phone and not so much the particular Symbian platform?

flash symbian

the most important flash player for the mobile devices is the Symbian S60 2G, that is the device with biggest range of customers.. more than 5 companies support now these OS / devices..seems people accept these devices more than other like UIQ... but there is no offical player available...they work on it, if they integrate the player, it depends on the financial power of the producer, big MM sells the licence to flash and it is not really cheap, u can read it on google. f.ex. palm one said NO to MM.. but flash is the future, big MM knows that too *gg

it seems:
    UIQ / S60 2G (GSM/GPRS) = flash 4 lite player
    UIQ / S60 3G (UMTS) = flash 5 player

symbian is the best mobile phone OS, if u compare with windows os. a bluescreen on a phone thats the nightmare of all carriers and providers.. and THESE customers will not accept it.. look at the pocket pc windows its crazy how many times there are problems, what a heavy bad performance management...open more than 5 progs and its the end *loool... they said they re-code all.. a new os *loooooool... the best thing is, if u need the ppc, its freezed or guru-meditation... or better..big MS sold XScale CPUs and windows 2002...loool... these devices are newer and slower than the older pocket pcs... its like if u sell a pentium 1 with win3.1 today again.. unbelievable...thats my experience and opinion... greetz
    FLASH-mobile.de - Macromedia Flash on mobile devices

thanks for the note.

Is it true that the "unofficial" symbian and Palm players are essentially a Flash 4 player (based upon Oliver Debon's open source linux player)?

----
    MM sells the licence to flash and it is not really cheap, u can read it on google. f.ex. palm one said NO to MM
    ----
    do you have links for license fee and Palm rejecting MM offer?

----
    look at the pocket pc windows its crazy how many times there are problems
    ----
    seems unfortunate that MM offers highest level of mobile Flash player support on the the pocket PC platform. I can understand that PocketPC was probably the easiest mobile platform form MM to bring mobile Flash to market, but it has a much smaller market penetration than the other "maintstream" mobile platforms, like Symbian and Palm. And does seem to have a reputation for problems.