A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How do you create custom brush libraries?

How do you create custom brush libraries?

Is there a way to create a custom brush library in Adobe Illustrator that I can open from the top menu: Window --> Brush Libraries --> MY CUSTOM LIBRARY (then a palette opens w/ my brushes only)?

There's GOT to be a way!

I have like 4-6 styles I use for wire and cable illustrations that I'd like to be able to use w/o all those other brushes up..I would like to be able to access them at anytime, with any file I might need them for! Similar to getting a new library from the Adobe Studio Exchange I suppose, but I do not know how to go about making them...is there an easy, quick way to do this??

I hope this is clear on what I'm looking for!

Thanks for any help I can get!

Valerie
    ||| Valerie |||

EXPAND YOUR ELEMENT

You're right there has to be a way but I sure as hell can't find one. I tried doing a search through both the browser and the Adobe sight but found nothing. Now this is going to bug me. Well hope you find out. I give up for now. Sorry I couldn't help.

Abso-Freakin-lutely

You can absolutely make a custom preset brush, swatch, style, or symbol...

in a new document, delete all the extra items in the library you don't want in your custom library (swatch, brush, symbol, etc...)

Make the shape you want to use for the custom brush librabry on the artboard and then drag it into the brush pallet. You will see a thumbnail of it there. With nothing else in the brush pallet, swatch pallet, etc... save is in the Brushes folder in the Presets folder in Adobe Illustrator as an ai. Then when you open Illustrator again, you go to window>swatch/brush/smbol library and open it. A new windo will appear with your brush in it.

this is a graet thing to do for swatches you are using for a site/design too.

Yep!

Yeah figured that out! It is kinda a pain to have to load those styles each time though. Still should do the same w/ swatches, good idea! =)

Valerie
    ||| Valerie |||

EXPAND YOUR ELEMENT

Val,
    I think you can put your swatches, brushes into the default file as well so they load each time. I did that in Photoshop... just beware, the more fonts, brushes, swatches, symbols that need to load takes more RAM to lad the program.

Steve