A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: search engine optimization

search engine optimization

Other than using metatags, submitting urls/submitting sites to google, dmoz.org, etc. and making sure that the text in a site is readable throught the code, how do you optimize for search engines?

or is that it?
    seapod00

have lots of good content. that's all that really matters. Search engine optimization is optimizing the site so the search engines can see the content easier - through the use of mea tags, alt tags, good information architecture...and many other methods. but it all boils down to the quality of the content. I can spend months trying to optimize a client's site but if he doesnt have any well written content that is interesting he wont achieve good SERPs (search engine result position).

one of the best investment would be a copywriter. For things that don't change like mission statement, company history...copywriting can do wonders. But don't bother having something that's updated often copywrited because its just a waste. Whoever updates the site with new and interesting content (you do update the site dont you) should be aware of good copywriting techniques and how to help search engine results. Such things as keyword rich content, interesting titles and other literary techniques that look good to search engines and readers alike. But don't design the content around the search engines, they change too often for that. Rather design content around the users and since search engines are built to find quality content for users you will reach equilibrium by pleasing both parties.

no html tags or hidden tricks will ever do better (in the long run) then good, quality content
    Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

A lot of our clients were always harping on about search engines and placements, we ended up going to http://www.searchengineers.co.uk who did some work on certain sites and did actually improve rankings etc etc.
    Keep it rural.

There is a Hope
    Originally posted by gecko2
    A lot of our clients were always harping on about search engines and placements, we ended up going to http://www.searchengineers.co.uk who did some work on certain sites and did actually improve rankings etc etc.
    I currently use either Rank4u or 123rankings for seo and submission. However I don't have enough data back to say whether they have made enough of an improvement to warrant the initial costs.
    Ali_W

There are so many companies that say that they can optimize you for search engines, I'd like to know what exactly they are doing that optimizes it.

I don't like to pay for undefined services or unproven ones.

How can you know what their doing? If it works?
    seapod00

As far as we have seen what they do is not really a great deal.
    Keep it rural.

I've been told that about similar services.

Thanks.

I think I'll stick with doing it myself and taking the advice in the earlier part of the thread.

Can you think of other things to keep in mind if you are doing it yourself?
    seapod00

There is a Hope
    One thing I believe that helps, but don't hold me to it, is to have as many of the 'keywords' from the meta tag in the text of the page (but you still have to have good content).

Hope this helps
    Ali_W

Hi i have been pottering round here for a while

http://www.cre8asiteforums.com

great info on SEO and PR

well worth a good look round

bp

search engines usualy see your site's pages as normal end users would. Optimization doesn't neccesarily involve special tricks or elements - just the basics ethically applied.
    2 tips : have a good and properly thought of TITLE for the pages, and keep relevant to that content inside your page. Also , avoid from using ANY spamming tactics like body colour fonts text, excessive usage of commented tags including keywords, do not link to any link farms etc.
    btw , here are two sites we did SEO for lately :
    1) http://www.abhuraag.com ( keyword - "bengali songs download" and "bangla gaan" ) .
    2) http://guesthouse.featuredhost.com ( keyword - " guest house kolkata ")

check them by searching on Google .
    Last edited by tublu; 11-30-2003 at 10:07 PM.