A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Motorola A920

Motorola A920

My biggest gripe is that these devices only have FlashPlayer 5, so that "modern code" won't work. ie "onEnterFrame = function(){};

When will FP6 come out for mobile devices?

If you dont like Flash 5 coding then get a load of Flash Lite ActionScript...

anycase, I believe there is a Flash 6 player for PocketPC 2003.

A lot of 'modern' coding can also tend to slow down performance. Typically, the cleaner and more object oriented the code is, the slower it's likely to run. On mobile projects there is often a trade-off between performance, memory use, and file size.

You may also be surprised at how much you can actually do with Flash Lite.

I've found that it's easier to develop a different mind set for working on mobile projects as opposed to trying to use what I'd normally do for a desktop application. When I code for a desktop, I tend to like to write (time permitting) clean, abstracted code. When I code for mobile, I pretend I'm coding for a computer that's ten years old and the code is as lean as possible.

Regards,
    Nader Nejat // Multimedia Consultant + Developer
    OmegaMedia // http://www.omegamedia.com
    "We help people express their visual and technical ideas"

using enterFrame loops in Flash 5 is probably not a good idea for mobile devices. I should think frame based timeline looping is more cpu efficient and much easier to start and stop.

Thanks for your input guys. I appreciate it. I took a look at the Flash Lite material on Macromedia and I am not sure about it. Is it a seperate application to write in, or is it just a profile that gets embedded with your swf? Any tips on what to do with it? Thanks.
    Last edited by kendude; 12-13-2003 at 08:53 PM.

Flash Lite is a Flash player intended for devices requireing the smallest Flash player memory footprint. It is based upon the Flash 4 player supporting much of the Flash 4 subset of ActionScript.

As for authoring, MM would encourage you to by MX04 pro to author Flash Lite content, but you can also get the Flash Lite updater for Flash MX, or if you are just dabling, save your movies to Flash 4 version keeping in mind the AS limitations outlined in the CDK.

I jokingly brought it up in this dicussion because it is a more restricted platform than Flash 5 and does not support the "modern" coding concepts most Flash developers have come understand as standard flash coding.

However as mmdev points out, there should still be quite a bit of flexibility, considering that Flash 4 AS supports almost all the same features as Flash 5 AS but without some coding conveniences. Folks did impressive things with Flash 4 in the past.
    Last edited by hp3; 12-14-2003 at 05:46 PM.