A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: What do you think?

What do you think?

I'm making a personal webpage just for fun while I get better at actionscripting, and would like any feedback on how it is coming along so far. Really, anything you may think or feel when looking at it would be appreciated, good or bad, i can take it.

www.TwoWeeksAway.com

eveningtidemusic.com tristankelley's Avatar
    Is it just supposed to stop when it says 'load complete' or is it actually supposed to load something?

lol, ok i guess it's not very clear, but a button appears in the top left corner after it is done loading, you click that. I'll have make it more noticable i guess.

eveningtidemusic.com tristankelley's Avatar
    I see now. You might want go directly to that new page after the movie loads instead of having the user click a button, it would feel alot more smooth that way. Also 460k is pretty big for what little content you have so far. Try loading some things externally like mp3's or other swf's. Also try drawing what you have in flash itself, that will bring the file size down quite a bit instead of having all of those png's.

Nice concept and a good start!

This junior member hates C++
    hey
    why does it automatically close the window of ur site after a few secs of opening it? wierd!
    Neo

you must be running a pop-up blocker.

sorry, I should have mentioned that. I have it close the original web browser and open a new browser window with no navigation bars or scroll bar or anything. I did this because I do not want this to feel like a web page at all. So, the page my flash movie is on, is technicly a pop-up. sorry about that.

maybe thats why I've only got one comment about it? really, even if you just want to tell me it sucks, I would like your thoughts.

p.s. -
    I took your advise Tristan, and have it go directly to the main site now after it loads.
    Last edited by crowlore; 12-13-2003 at 09:17 PM.

This junior member hates C++
    hey
    the design is cool
    but shudn't u have some more content? btw, depending on the chance that ur user won't be running a pop-up blocker wud be a really monsterous gamble. since a large % of the population now run some kinda pop-up blocker. this has been helped by the new google toolbar(in-built pop-up blocker. i run that on my comp)
    so try to make it direct. y do u need the system of opeing and closing windows thingy?
    other than that. what does the picture toolbar do? it just beautifully slides in and thats it?!
    the music is kewl. u cud make some kinda control panel window and put some more tracks. make icons and etc etc.
    also u shud have some text, some "About" Thing.
    inshort,
    This doesn't have any content.
    Cheers
    Neo
    PS: u said u want a thrashing. u got one!

Thanks for the input. I know the thing with the main page being on a pop up I'm going to have to try to work around. And as far as content goes, that is going to be a slow process as I'm still even sure what all the content is going to be, an info section is a good idea, I think I'll do that. I'm just looking for feed back on the design (color, layout,ect.) and user-ability right now really.

My PopUpCop does not liek popups sry

the navigation is not clear at all.. make it more obvious. YOu also need some contrast in there. The site is too dark and needs texture to it.
    It loaded fine and looks ok to me though

What do you say about mine?
    http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=516342
    Do you handball?
    http://www.stellios.co.uk/handball.htm

Thanks for the suggestions, Stellios. I changed some parts to a silvery color to try to lighten it up and get an accent color in there, I'd like to know if it works. Do you find the navigation difficult because you don't know where the buttons are initialy? If thats the case I can put some kind of animation on or around them to direct peoples attention. Or is it something else? As for texture, I'm not sure what I could do to help that. I want it to feel smooth and metalic, at least the menus, I don;t know what I'm doing with the background yet, probably not leaving it black.

Thanks for the feedback.

yes, initially I had to guess where the buttons are. Wasnt hard but would be better if it was clearer. I was more concerned about the buttons on the right though, the submenu; the small buttons. I think they look like part of the template more than buttons and in addition to the main menu it become a little confusing, as in are there any more buttons around? Did I miss sth? I realised you dont but I had to look around. Maybe thats what you intended, I dont know.
    Like you said, an animation would be very useful for me
    I also liked the new additions. Keep it up
    Do you handball?
    http://www.stellios.co.uk/handball.htm

hehe, ok, I know what you'r saying, I'll work on that. Thanks for the help!

Hey, about the closing original window thing:
    If i get your site link from say google, and i go to the site, it will close the window i have with google in the history. And since I am running a pop-up blocker (for obvious reasons) my computer closes the new window as well. So now after clicking one link in google, all my browser windows are gone and I have to open my browser again. Not very user friendly at all.
    It must be obvious day at camp stupid

Lord of the Elves
    could you do something about the preloader? 608 kb is huge for someone useing dial-up. ive gotten to 51% and can't go any farther, try loading external swf's and add something to the preloader so i don't get bored watching the loading dots is only entertaining for so long