A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [SWF Protection Component] this component seems usefull

Danny Gomez Creations ® cosmiceye's Avatar
    under a palmtree in Jamaica waiting for psytopia 2005 to begin

this component seems usefull

..:: P S Y T O P I A 2 0 0 5 :::..
    . . . view the psytopia reels _____RIVEND REEL | GOMEZ REEL_____ . . . . . . . . . . .

SPAMMER
    thats sound amazing, anyone tried it out through one of these .swf to .fla softwares people are using? This whole issue of ripping has caused me a big headache lately.

An old "proverb" says, "locks are only meant to keep an honest man honest".

I'll be very honest... if someone wants to steal your work, they will.

I can say I've never had work stolen from me, and the reason is that I always get a deposit and a contract. Work is staged for viewing on my own server, and released only when the final payment is made. In actuality, if someone does steal your work, the best option is small-claims court (in most situations).

I can see this component being useful, though, for time-licensed work, as suggested by the author of the component. A good example would be a game developer who licenses his game to a company for a year, lets say. At the end of the year, the game is unactivated, and the client must pay for the next year to get another key. Sounds good... I like this idea.

I really don't, though, think it's worth the effort and headache of trying to protect your work from theft... just ask Macromedia.

SPAMMER
    its all well and good protecting the file from the client, thats never really an issue. What does bug me is wannabe designers throwing an swf thru one of these swf to fla converters and getting hold of all your layers, code, sounds etc. this whole area really concerns me, the amount of rippers out there is gettin bigger and the more protection for .swfs the better.

I agree, but to be honest, if you are a web developer at all, your creative work is up for grabs... we just have to face it.

I think it's humorous that Flash coders get all greedy with their code and things, and other types of developers just code and forget it. Kind of funny.

Hi,

I believe that someone who really understands the process of swf untangling (not just clicking the "convert now" button) would not have a real problem to steal the work forever, even if access for the real client is time limited

Musicman