A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Dynamic Text Box and Embedded Fonts

Flash Developer

Dynamic Text Box and Embedded Fonts

Question:

I am working on a project to make a scrollable text box that can have an embedded font. Another trick is to be able to dynamically fill the text box with HTML data using FlashVars. One of the hiccups I'm running into is that the BOLD tag does not work when the font is embedded. That seems to be the only tag that does not work.

Has anyone run into this problem before? Is it my version of Flash MX? Has Flash MX 2004 enhanced embedded fonts and rendering of HTML in a dynamic text box?

Thanks,
    Flashtech2K
    Flashtech2K

Interesting.

Perhaps bold is listed as another font altogether.

Have you tried placing a bold version font into the movie
    elsewhere and seen if the swf picks it up?

Flash Developer

The problem

To restate the problem in a different way, the BOLD tag DOES work when I use DEVICE fonts but when I select an embedded font, the BOLD tag does not work at all. In fact, all text within the BOLD tags does not appear on the screen.

Concerning your reply, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you trying to say that I need to embed the BOLD version of the font that I am currently embedding?
    Flashtech2K

Flash Developer

The answer/solution

The answer: I found the answer to my problem in a Colin Moock book, Actionscript Language Reference. It says, "Every variation of a font must be embedded individually. If we use Courier New in bold, italic and bold italic in a text field, then we must embed all three font variations." I simply was not embedding the bold variation so it did not render at all in the text box.

The solution: In the dynamic text box, I place three letters in bold, italic and bold italic (using the font that I want to embed, of course). This way Flash knows to export all the font variations. Then when I load the SWF file at runtime, those letters are automatically replaced when I load the FlashVars that feeds the dynamic text box. Needless to say, Flash can render the bold text because the bold variation was embedded in the SWF file.

The reason why I am embedding fonts is because I am creating web pages that will have graphics with specific font treatments. If I can have text that will match, the page will look much better. It is all about looks in this case. A good reason to use Flash and not Javascript to make a scrolling text box.
    Flashtech2K

That was my suggestion.
    Have you tried placing a bold version font into the movie
    elsewhere and seen if the swf picks it up?

Flash Developer

You're right

you did point me in the right direction. I just did not understand your answer at the time but after reading my Moock book, I started to understand more.

Thanks,
    Flashtech2K