A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Simple Actionscript not working...

Simple Actionscript not working...

I've been programming for 12 years and for some reason Actionscript is turning out to be such a pain in the butt. So I would appreciate any pointers you may have.

What I want is very simple. I have multiple webpages all with the same flash header that plays from frame 1 --> 362 and at the end loops back at frame 70 --> 362 and so on. (Frames 1-69 should only play once)

onFrame (362) {
    gotoSceneAndPlay("<current scene>",70);
    }

That works great, however I don't want the first 70 frames to played everytime a new page opens. No matter what I try it doesn't work.

So what I do is pass a variable through the <PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="startpos1=70"> in the HTML when I want to start mid-way through the animation. I can verify that it is actually passed and is seen as a string.

So what I tried to do is put the following code on the scene timeline. I can verify that the IF statement works, but for some reason the GOTOSCENEANDPLAY function is utterly ignored. What am I doing wrong?

onFrame (1) {
    if (startpos1 eq "70") {
    gotoSceneAndPlay("<current scene>",70);
    }

THANKS!!
    shawn@smallbizwebsites.net

er ... I've never seen an "onFrame" handler before. I'm also unfamiliar with the "gotoSceneAndPlay" function. Would you plz check/explain that first!

pecoes

The onFrame() handler is just what it describes. For the object (in this case the scene), when the frame# identified is encountered, a script is executed.

I can verify that the onFrame() handler works as expected.

As far as I can tell, the gotoSceneAndPlay() method is just what is says. It's my guess that this is the problem. I guess the question would be, what is the correct directive to tell the movie to skip or jump to a particular frame without playing the frames in-between?

As I mentioned before, I use this because my movie is:

Frame 1 ----> FANCY INTRO ANIMATION --> Frame 70 --> REPEATING MARKETING LOOP --> Frame xxx

I want the intro to play only once per visit, but the loop to repeat regardless of what page is opened.

Thanks
    Shawn

Hi Shawn,

okay, I checked AStDG2, I ckecked macromedia's livedocs; I even looked at the list of undocumented features over at flashcoders wiki.

As far as I can tell neither that handler nor that function exist. What have you read?

pecoes
    Last edited by pecoes; 12-19-2003 at 07:41 PM.

You aren't using Flash, right? You're using "Swish"?

If so, you may be better off in one of their forums ...
    Last edited by pecoes; 12-19-2003 at 08:36 PM.