A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Quick Question (Saving to a server)

Quick Question (Saving to a server)

assuming I have a server, can i tell flash to save variables to a file on the server? does it require php code etc?
    and im aware the server will probably need to be php4 compatible and need CHMOD777 (according to WSFTP) access
    "Good lord, you're wasting thousands of dollars worth of Interferon!"
    "... and you're Interferon with our good time!"

You need PHP, ASP or some other kind of server-side script to write stuff. Flash can't do that.

Call the script from Flash with loadVariables.

Flash communicates with a server in exactly the same way a web brower does and just like a browser it cannot save anything there.

You would need a script on the server (PHP will do just fine!) that takes the incoming data and saves or processes it.

Chmoding to 0777 is usually bad. Don't do it unless all else fails. 0777 means that everybody with shell access to the server can read, edit and remove your file.

fanks pecoes and ptk.

I was aware browsers didnt handle database changing commands... i just thought flash was

I didnt know CHMOD 0777 was in-secure. is there another way?

thanks for the help!

Mhm, *NIX file permissions are quite a topic in itself. Not because they're complicated, but because the philosophy behind them is so different from Windows file permissions. If you're like me it'll take you just a couple of minutes to learn them, but a year to get used to them.

I just googled two good-looking tutorials:

http://www.evolt.org/article/A_quick...torial/18/541/
    http://www.unixcities.com/howto/index3.html

What both don't mention, is a key issue for web designers: All web content is (usually) attributed to a user with very very limited rights, (usually) called "nobody". The web surfer has the same rights as that "nobody" on the web server. So (usually) chmoding to 644 is more than enough.
    Last edited by pecoes; 12-20-2003 at 06:13 PM.

ok... i read over the files quickly, not understanding a word of it. But what I gather is that chmod777 will give any user acess to freely manipulate/exicute the files however the like, changing the online data. a lower number removes privilages from you, user and world (i think those were the three).

I got the chmod777 technique from an online high score tutorial.

either way, domainDLX, my server, which seem to boast being so ASP compatible, doesnt allow using FTP programs. And my school doesnt allow the FTP to change the folder permissions, so unless someone suggests a free server that would be suitible for my needs, im, boned.