A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: TOTAL Noobie needs book ...

TOTAL Noobie needs book ...

Ok, I'm am very honest when I say, "I don't know CRAP" about flash. I have taken the FlashMX tutorial like 3 times and that's all I know how to do.

What I am looking for is a book, one single book, that can help me learn Flash. I am looking to stick with FlashMX ... so I need a book that can get me from total noob, to understanding Flash pretty well.

So any reccommendations on any books? Any help that can be given is greatly appreciated... thanks.

-Noobie Edgar ...

I have Macromedia Actionscript: Advanced Training From the Source and Moock's Defenitive Guide to Actionscript(ASDG2). Both are pretty good.
    The other day, I bought a box of animal crackers. On the side, it said "Do Not Eat if Seal is Broken". I opened the box and sure enough...

i just got that "flash MX bible" against my friends recomendations , and to be honest , i dont see why they dont like it . It reads easy and gives examples a'plenty.

For actionscript tho ive been told the o'reilly book on that (that definitive guide one ) is the best .

wow cool! i just started using MX and i am OVERWHELMED at how complicated things seem at first. I will definitely look for these books A.S.A.P and start working! thanks guys!

Left-Handed Flash User mickbrit55's Avatar
    Hiya

When I first started as a total newb I bought the Hands On Training (HOT) book by Lynda Weinman and Kymberlee Weil, and ActionScript - The Difinitive Guide (ASDG) by Colin Moock. While the HOT book is now redundant to me, it showed all the basics really well - including ActionScript. The ASDG book I still use every day because it has a fantastic reference section.

Start off slow and don't try to do anything too complicated until you get the basics down. There are some great tutorials on this site that you can follow to expand your knowledge - and a great bunch of people here ready to help if you get stuck.

Good luck and welcome to Flash!
    Mick

Thanks everyone :)

Thanks for the help everyone! I'm actually on my way to buy a few of the books that were reccommended so I should be starting to experiement with Flash pretty soon.

Thanks again for all the help.

-Edgar