A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Northcode's Runtime.exe verses Proxy.exe

Northcode's Runtime.exe verses Proxy.exe

Hello Flashers,

For MX Projector files on dual platform CD-ROMs, on the PC side, does anyone know which one of Northcode's DOS pop-up blocking .exe files work better (or easier)? -- Runtime.exe or Proxie.exe.

NOTE: I'm creating all of this on a Mac and I have no problem creating the .bat files for the PC and the Applescript files on the Mac side.

I have several WORD files, several ZIP files (for high-res compressed image files) and several PDF files on my CD-ROM. I want to open the files on the users computer with the appropriate application (MS Word, WinZIP or Acrobat Reader).

I understand I need to create a folder called: fscommand and place all of the exe files, bat files and the target Word, Zip, and PDF files in the same folder.

Once I place Northcode's Runtime.exe - or - Proxie.exe in the fscommand folder, how do I write the fscommand code for the BUTTONs:

I presume the code it as follows:

===========================
    on (release) {
    fscommand ("exec", "proxie.exe");
    }

"proxie.exe" will open "proxie.bat"

(I will rename "proxie.exe" and "proxie.bat" and call them something like: "myWord01.exe" and "myWord01.bat" to open the designated files I want to target to be opened)

My bat file will read:
    START myWordfile01.doc
    cls

Thus, "proxie.exe" (renamed as "myWord01.exe") will open and run "proxie.bat" (renamed to "myWord01.bat") to run the bat file to open:

"myWordfile01.doc"

If anyone with experience with this sort of thing can confirm my information is correcet before I start doing the physical coding on my work file, please let me know. If you detect any errors, please let me know as well so I can avoid the legwork.

Reminder: I'm creating everything on a Mac, so I cannot use any of those amazing third party solutions (*********** etc.). I hope they come out with Mac versions of those apps soon.

Needless to say, for the Mac side, I had to make a duplicate of my master Flash file in which the button codes (on release) use fscommand to "exe" corresponding Applescripts to open the target files on Macs. SHEESH!!! At least the Applescripts are super simple and do not have the DOS pop-up window problem.

Thank you, Northcode, for your free scripts to remedy the DOS pop-ups!

Happy New Year to everyone!
    Terrence
    nycomet@optonline.net
    Last edited by nycomet; 01-05-2004 at 10:01 PM.
    nycomet

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    You don't need the "cls" (clear screen) line in your BAT file, but other than that it all looks good.

Northcode's Proxie.exe WORKS GREAT!!!!!

Hello Northcode,

I tried your "proxie.exe" / "proxie.bat" solution to open files from a dual platform CD-ROM in the native application of the target file I want to open (Word files, PDF files and WinZip files).

To my amazement, your "proxie.exe" / "proxie.bat" solution works perfectly and no DOS command window opens at all. Before using your solution, I used the getURL command in Flash to open files. This way sucked because it triggers the default web browser to handle the command. YUCK.

Thank you for your SIMPLE and VALUABLE solution to open files on my CD-ROM project. On the PC side, your your "proxie.exe" / "proxie.bat" solution is only a little more complex than using an Applescript on the Mac side. The Mac Applescript is really simple and it handles the command in one Applescript without the need for a separate bat file.

If only some of the third party Flash solution software was also available for the Mac.

Now: how do I get a file (ie: a jpeg) to transfer from the CD and be saved onto the PC Desktop? There's a simple Applescript to do this on the Mac side. Is there any code for the PC??

Thanks again, Northcode!!!!
    ======================
    Last edited by nycomet; 01-05-2004 at 10:02 PM.
    nycomet

Are you just trying to copy the JPEG file to the desktop or do you want to use the JPEG image as the desktop wallpaper?

As for a MAC/Windows projector tool, keep an eye on northcode.com for news about our "Thing" product. We gave a demo of the technology in July at FlashForward. We'be been busy with other stuff, but we're about to kick this "Thing" back into high gear

Just Copying a JPEG to the Desktop

Hello again,

This is what I need to happen:

From the Flash Projector file running on a CD-ROM, I need to Press a button called "Download Photo" and it will trigger a target JPEG image to copy from the CD onto the Desktop Computer. That's it!

Do you know if the "proxie.exe" solution works on Windows 95, 98, and 2000? I know it works on Windows XP.

Thanks!
    Terrence
    nycomet

Thing!

Good luck with the Thing project! It sounds exciting!!!!

My hope is that it will work on the Mac as well as on the PC!!!! Anything that can make our jobs easier is appreciated very much!

Thanks-
    nycomet
    nycomet

The problem with doing the copy you're trying to do is locating the desktop folder from a BAT file. You could use vbscript or javascript but there's just no guarantee that the user will have them installed or enabled. The only bulletproof solution is an EXE. I'll see if I can whip something up for you (I'll post a link here when it's done).

The proxy utility should work on all platforms from Windows 95 right up to Windows XP without any problems. It uses only the most basic Windows API functionality so there are no machine specific issues.

"Thing" projectors work smashingly well on both platforms. From one SWF you can generate two applications, one for the MAC and one for the PC. We've been working with a few customers who have already deployed projects built with this technology. That's helped us get some of the core player issues worked out

To Northcode

Thank you very, very much. Your help has truly made a difference to improve my CD-ROM project.

Question:
    ========
    I placed all of the target files to be opened via proxy.exe in the fscommand folder that contains the .exe files and the .bat files.

Do the target files (Word, PDF, Winzip files) *HAVE* to be in the fscommand folder? Or can the .bat files open files in folders outside of the fscommand folder?

For example, can I make a folder called "PDF" and place my PDF files in it? Can I have the .bat file do this:

code:
    =======================
    START PDF\myPDFfile01.pdf
    =======================

Everything works great if my target files are inside the fscommand folder. I'm just wondering if I can better organize the target files by placing them into their own folders, hoping that the .bat files can find the target file using a path.

Just asking instead of experimenting to save time and effort.

Thanks again! I will keep and eye on Northcode .com for "THING!"

- Terrence
    nycomet

Only proxy.exe (and renamed copies) and the BAT files have to be in the FSCommand folder. The BAT files can reference files anywhere on the CD.

Summary of how to make files open on Macs and PCs

Thank you Northcode for the information about which files MUST be inside of the "fscommand" folder on a CD-ROM. Only the .exe files, .bat files and applescripts need to be in the fscommand folder. Use paths to get to specified folders on your CD-ROM in the .bat or applescripts.

In case anyone is curious to see how an Applescript is used in fscommand to open files, here is a sample Applescript (which I named: "M001pdf_script" - which will open a pdf file in Acrobat Reader called: "M001.pdf")

======================
    tell application "Finder"
    activate
    select file "M001.pdf" of folder "PDF" of disk "Media Kit 2004"
    open selection
    end tell
    =======================

Here is how we call the Applescript using fscommand applied to a button action:

on (release) {
    fscommand ("exec", "M001pdf_script");
    }

The Applescript file - which is created on a Mac using Script Editor - must be saved as an Application File (option off: stay open; option on: keep window closed). As far as I know. applescripts cannot be written on a PC. However, .bat files can be written on a Mac. Make sure you have a friend with a Mac if you wish to make dual platform CD-ROMs that are being designed on a PC.

It works on Macs just like the PC counterpart that uses the "proxy.exe" file from Northcode to run the file: "proxy.bat." (simply rename the "proxy.exe" and "proxy.bat" files to reference the target file you wish to open when a button is pressed). According to Northcode, "proxy.exe" will open the .bat file of the same name, ie: "proxy.bat." just change the name of the .exe and the .bat files to match one another and it will open files and avoid the DOS command screen.

My "proxie.bat" file reads as follows:

=============
    START M001.pdf
    =============

That's all there is to it!!!! The .bat file makes the "M001.pdf" file open in Acrobat Reader on PCs. Just write your own .bat file (on a Mac use BBedit and select the save as option for DOS; PC users can use Notepad).

Of course, this does mean you need to make a duplicate of your final approved MASTER Flash file (from this point on, if your client wants changes to the master design file, you need to update both the Mac and the PC versions of the files - yuck).

One needs to have PC fscommands to run .exe file to open .bat files to open target files (.pdf, .doc, .jpg, etc.) and the Mac side needs to have Mac fscommands to open Applescripts that open target files (.pdf, .doc, .jpg, .zip, .tif etc.).

This SIMPLE solution requires lots of duplication of the scripts and customizing them for specific target files. The time is well worth it to avoid using the CLUNKY "getURL" command to open files.

Once again, thank you Northcode for your amazing help on my CD-ROM project! You are the Flash KING!!!!!

Terrence
    nycomet@optonline.net
    nycomet

If you create a function like this and use it everywhere you want to open an EXE or AppleScript file you can save yourself some trouble. The only "catch" is that you have to use the same base names for your files on each platform.

So if you want to open BOB.JPG you need to create BOBjpg.exe (renamed proxy.exe), BOBjpg.bat and BOBjpg_script and put them all in the fscommand folder. Then you call SmartExec("BOBjpg") and the SmartExec function will figure out which platform you are on and call the correct EXE/script file.

Code:
    function SmartExec(target)
    {
       platform = $version.slice(0,3);
       if (platform == "WIN") {
          fscommnd("exec", target + ".exe");
       } else {
          fscommand("exec", target + "_script");
       }
    }

From the Flash Projector file running on a CD-ROM, I need to Press a button called "Download Photo" and it will trigger a target JPEG image to copy from the CD onto the Desktop Computer. That's it!
    A new addition to the FREE utility collection is 2Desktop which allows you to copy a file from your CD to the users desktop. It's an EXE so the call has to be made from a BAT file.

Let's assume you have a folder on the root of your CD called documents and in that folder you have a file called readme.pdf. To copy that file to the users desktop, you would use the following command.

Code:
    2desktop \documents\readme.pdf
    Both 2Desktop.exe and the BAT file you call it from have to reside in the FSCommand folder (just like the proxy stuff), the files themselves can be anywhere on the CD, just use a relative path to identify them. The easiest way is to reference every file from the root of the CD like I've done above.

You can download 2Desktop from the Northcode web site at http://www.northcode.com/misc/2desktop.zip
    Last edited by Northcode; 01-05-2004 at 10:41 AM.

2desktop.exe

Hello again Northcode,

All I can say is WOW!
    ================

I am extremely excited about your new free utility called "2desktop.exe" -- I tried to download the file from your web site (http://www.northcode.com/2desktop.zip) and the web site displayed an error page stating that the file was not found. Please post when the file is available from your web site.

I can hardly wait to use the new "2desktop.exe" utility! Thank you in advance for yet another POWERFUL and sorely needed solution for PC Flash projector files!

Also, I REALLY appreciate the "SmartExec (target)" code. This is a huge time-saver since it will allow me to use just one master Flash file for dual platform CD-ROM projects.

Your experience, knowledge and willingness to share, help and support people like me is truly appreciated.

Thank you again,
    Terrence
    nycomet@optonline.net
    nycomet

I am forever forgetting to add "misc" to those urls. The correct URL is http://www.northcode.com/misc/2desktop.zip (and I've corrected the link in the original post).

2desktop.exe - need assistance

Hey there Northcode,

I tried the 2desktop.exe utility to copy a file from my CD-ROM onto the desktop of the PC. I must have done something wrong - I can't get it to work.

I placed the file "2desktop.exe" in the fscommand folder on the CD-ROM.

I placed "2desktop.bat" in the fscommand folder on the CD-ROM.

The "2desktop.bat" file has this info in it:

=======
    myfile.zip
    =======

My button had this code on it:

on (release) {
    fscommand("exec","2desktop.exe");
    }

The target file: "myfile.zip" is in the fscommand folder with the 2desktop.exe and .bat files.

I published the Flash MX file to a PC projector and burned the CD which includes the projector, fscommand folder etc.

The CD autoplayed on the PC but when I pressed the appropriate button, the file did not copy onto the PC desktop.
    Do you see anything in my set-up that is incorrect?

I'm also presuming I can rename the "2desktop.exe" and it's corresponding .bat file the same as I did for "proxy.exe" to copy different files to the desktop.

Thanks for your help.

Terrence
    nycomet@optonline.net
    nycomet

You need to actually call 2desktop and pass it the path to the file you want to copy. Since myfile.zip is in the same folder as 2desktop.exe, you can just call it from the bat file like this..

===================
    2desktop myfile.zip
    ===================

If you want to use the proxy utility to hide the DOS box you would rename proxy.exe to myfilezip.exe, call your bat file myfilezip.bat and make the bat file look like the one I show above.

Then throw all these files in the fscommand directory and call it from Flash like this...

on (release) {
    fscommand("exec", "myfilezip.bat");
    }

2desktop.exe

Northcode, your new utility "2desktop.exe" worked perfectly! So well, in fact, that I didn't even know it worked until I "quit" the CD-ROM projector file!!!!! Here's what I did to make it work:

My button has this code:
    ===================
    on (release) {
    fscommand("exec", "myfilezip.exe");
    }
    ===================

To avoid the DOS screen, I used your "proxy.exe" and renamed it:
    "myfilezip.exe"

"myfilezip.exe" opens and runs "myfilezip.bat"

"myfilezip.bat" contains this code:
    ===================
    2desktop myfile.zip
    ===================

All of the files are in the fscommand folder on my CD-ROM with the projector file.

When the button is pressed, "myfile.zip" magically appears as a file that has been copied from the CD and saved onto the PC users desktop. This is SUPER SIMPLE and SUPER EASY!

I think I did well following your instructions considering that I am working on a Mac!!! Fortunately, I can test all of my files on a Dell running Windows XP.

Northcode, I do not want to be greedy so please forgive me for asking...

Is it possible for you to modify "2desktop.exe" to show a pop-up screen that would notify the PC user that the file has been copied onto the desktop? Or is it possible to program a pop-up screen to give the PC user the option to select a target destination for the file that is being copied / saved from the CD-ROM onto the PC?

Believe me, I am thrilled with what you have achieved with 2desktop.exe!!!!!!! Just wondering if the programming could be modified with just a few additional features and options. At the very least, it would be cool to be able to let the user know that the file has been saved onto the desktop. As I indicated earlier, I didn't even know it worked until I quit the full-screen projector file!

Thank you again for your INCREDIBLE and AMAZING help. I am certain this particular thread will be most helpful to Flashkit designers who are tackling CD-ROM projector projects similar to the one I have done. Again, thank you for your generous assistance. Keep up the excellent work!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terrence
    nycomet@optonline.net
    Bay Shore, NY - USA
    nycomet

Northcode, I do not want to be greedy so please forgive me for asking...
    Okay, just this once

I've put a new copy of the utility up at http://www.northcode.com/misc/2desktop.zip (I even checked the URL). This one allows you to provide an option message to be displayed if the copy is successful.

Thanks Northcode

I'll try out the updated version of 2desktop.exe and I'll let you know how it works out!

You must admit, I really did ask you for a lot of help. Thanks for being so accommodating!

You're the BEST!

:^)
    Terrence
    Bay Shore, NY
    nycomet

2desktop question for you

It's me again -

Northcode, you just turned "2desktop" into a MAJOR utility for copying files from a CD-ROM (projector) to the PC users desktop!!!!

This is how I set it up:

I used "proxy.exe" and changed the name to "getfile01.exe"

I created a .bat file and I named it "getfile01.bat"

(this procedure avoids the DOS screen from popping up)

.bat file has this text on it:
    ===================
    2desktop myfile01.jpeg message / myfile has been saved to your desktop / My CD-ROM File Manager

In Flash, the button has this code:
    ==========================
    {on (release) {
    fscommand("exec","getfile01.exe");
    }

I published the Flash projector. When the button is pressed, a message window popped up to announce that the designated file was saved to the desktop!

PERFECT!!!!
    ==========

Thank you Northcode! You are my HERO!!!!!
    ==================================
    nycomet