A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Northcode's Runtime.exe verses Proxy.exe

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    I can make the file name field read-only so the user doesn't have a chance to change it, they just get to choose where it gets saved. Would that fix you up?

Northcode & nycomet,

Just sending a big thanks to both you guys for this thread. Northcode, your little progs are awesome, of course.

And nycomet, it's always good to see when someone who HAD a question and figured it out takes the time to explain their solution.

"Don't worry i got it to work" has to be the bane of all forum lurkers....

Thanks guys, keep up the good work.

- TK_421

Read-Only

Northcode,

That'd do the trick. Is there no way to check the file extension and then have the file type appear in the "Save as type" field? When I downloaded your programs from the website, it appeared as "WinZip File" in the "Save as type" box.

Please don't worry about this if you can't think of a solution right off hand. The read-only solution will work perfectly for this project...I thought this way might be cool for future uses. Please don't spend all your time with my problems as I know there are plenty more people that need help.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

T-Bone

I just uploaded a new version of the Copy2 utility that uses the registry to map the file extension to the proper display name jpg->JPEG Image, exe->Application, etc. and if it can't find a match, it just shows "File", but the extension will be whatever you specified for the file on the command line. The user can still change the name if they like

Northcode,

I can't say anything except you are awesome. I just wrote a detailed guide to everything I did, but when I went to submit it, I wasn't logged into flashkit and for some reason it wasn't added to this thread. I will do so again in a few days.

Thanks so much again,

T-Bone

Hey guys, I'm trying to create a dual platform CD-ROM but rather than open a specific file or app, as mentioned in this thread, all I want to open is a folder view for the files available on the disc..is this possible and is there any software out there that would allow me to acheive this? thanks.

Check out the FAQ thread for this forum (it's always one of the first couple of threads in the list). There are a couple of links to cross-platform FAQs that talk about this. A simple AppleScript to do what you want is...

// open Finder at the location where ever the script is located

tell application "Finder"
    open folder of (path to me)
    end tell

Dual-Platform CD

I have a question about making a dual platform cd:

Northcode previously distributed a nice function that tests whether the computer is a mac or pc, and then decides whether to call the applescript or the utilities he made. However, if I am making a dual platform cd, aren't I going to have to publish the flash file as both a pc projecter as well as a mac projector?

If so, how do I make an autorun file that will open the appropriate projector when the cd is placed in the computer?

Thanks in advance...

T-Bone

MACs don't support the autorun stuff, that's a Windows thing. When you burn the CD, you basically make two images a MAC image and PC image and the system you are running on will only be able to read the image it knows how to read. That's a bit of a simplification, but check out Radina Matic's Cross Platform Burning FAQ. It's in the FAQ post for this forum and has LOTS of information.

the thing

Northcode,

Please let me say firstly that this thread was one of the most informative threads I have read and without it I would not be able to complete this project I am currently working on.

Is there any chance I could buy "The Thing" now? This project I am working on requires the ability to copy files to a users desktop on both MAC and PC. I would love to be able to purchase this from you, you are very willing to help users out and provide free utilities, I would feel it was money very well spent.

I also realize this thread is old so I am hoping you will get the email that some annoying user still needs help with this!

Question: I am using both utilities featured in this thread (2 desktop & proxy.exe) , it all works great except the 2 desktop thing, I am running it on Virtual PC so I think that maybe causing the problem but when I click on the button to download the "Save as.." box appears and it asks me for a file name. I am using the second release "copy2" which I thought you mentioned would not allow the user to change the name, but even if I assign it a file name it doesnt show up where I saved it and searching the whole computer turns up nothing. Again it could be the Virtual PC thing I will be testing it on a real PC tomorrow.

So I guess right now my question is "Is it possible to purchase The thing now?" & " Have you had any experience with 2Desktop and Virtual PC?"

thanks again for all you help and wisdom, you truly rock.

Open Folder View

Northcode,

Your code to open a folder view from a cd is as follows from the FAQ thread:

drv = _url.substr(8,1);
    geturl(drv + ":");

I added "\Pictures" directly after the colon ( for a final product of:

drv = _url.substr(8,1);
    geturl(drv + ":\Pictures");

However, it is not opening the "Pictures" folder located on my cd.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

T-Bone

I think you are missing a "\". If you are typing this in the editor in Flash then you need to type "\\" instead of "\". The "\" is a special character and has to be escaped, try this...

drv = _url.substr(8,1);
    geturl(drv + ":\\Pictures");

For some reason, when I look at the location of the folder on the cd in the address bar, it is "E:\Pictures" but I tried putting ":/Pictures" in your code and it worked...

Any reason why "/" worked instead of "\" ?

T-Bone

Flash is translating the "/" to the proper path separator for the operating system that you're on, the "\\" would also have worked.

problems

ok...I've done everything according to the above posts...I think.

1) I got the proxie.exe and proxie.bat files.
    2) renamed them to locpdf.exe and locpdf.bat
    3) edited the .bat file to say START "media/loc.pdf"
    4) also made an applscript whihc runs the file fine...FROM applescript,
    5) THEN in Flash I TRIED this...

on (release) {
    function SmartExec(locpdf) {
    platform = $version.slice(0, 3);
    if (platform == "WIN") {
    fscommnd("exec", locpdf+".exe");
    } else {
    fscommand("exec", locpdf+".scpt");
    }
    }
    }

6) got nothing. Nothing on the mac side, and nothing on the PC side. If I run the applescript itself, it launches the file. If i run the exe file all i get is a window that pops up with a path to the exe folder.

What the heck am i doing wrong?

Code:
    // the declaration of the SmartExec function should only 
    // appear once in your project

function SmartExec(file) 
    {
       if (platform == "WIN") {
          fscommnd("exec", file+".exe");
       } else {
          fscommand("exec", file+".scpt");
       }
    }

// call SmartExec from your button action

on (release) 
    {
       SmartExec("locpdf")
    }

mucking around

ok...before i go mucking around, where do i declare the SmartExec function? Just in the beginning frame?

I REALLY appreciate this. I'm a designer, not a programmer. This is like trying to read latin.

ok

I've applied the function to the first frame of my movie...
    function SmartExec(target) {
    if (platform == "WIN") {
    fscommand("exec", target+".exe");
    } else {
    fscommand("exec", target+"_script");
    }
    }
    stop();

I'm assuming theres a reason this forum won't let me post my whole message

Then i applied this to my button. Right?

on (release) {
    SmartExec("waterpdf");
    }

and the rest...

It just doesn't work. I am going to kill something. I've finally gotten my exe file to launch my bat file to launch my PDF. Of course this is just by running them. I cannot get them to work in Flash. So i am assuming there is something worng with my code.