A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: [disc] Flashkit Minigame Marathon - proposal and discussion

Personally, and I know it's not like me to be outspoken, but I've really got no time for people who "didn't read through the entire post..."
    It's one thing to quickly skim a short post and not d/load a fla ( Which I never do ), but to just post without reading a thread first is just lazy.
    The worse one I ever saw was someone replying to JapanGreg ( Who had done his patron saint of new guys thing, which I so admire ) where greg had posted the solution, but the guy who started the thread hadn't bothered reading the solution.
    </rant>

Yeah kdsh, if you want me to knock up some sound loops then no probs. I think 5 seconds will be fine, match each game, and selecting them from the game info will be easier, so say if there are 10 loops available, you can pick the one you think suits best ( Although real men get sfx in their games and still come under the 32k mark )

As to the quality setting, I personally always use low, and I can't see any reason not too. So long as the loader only uses bitmap art it should be fine. You don't lose a thing that way, and it gives people with lower spec cpu's more chance of enjoying the games.

Willoughby it's a good idea to put all the game links in one post, even if it's only in this thread for the time being.
    Perhaps we should wait til we've got a name for the game before opening a new thread ? I'm thinking "Squize's bedtime fun". Not as a name for the game, I'm just thinking about it.

Squize.

Official Shoe Shiner thehumanchimp's Avatar
    Squize's bedtime fun?!?!?!?!
    <<...shivers...screams...runs away...>>

anyway...
    whats the name of the game when uve got 3 (i think) cups, and theres an object underone of them...then they all get mixed up really fast, and you have to try and watch and workout where the cup with the object is placed, either in the position of the first second or third cup.

sorry, that is really not very well explained is it?

If anyones played Psycho Pinball (very old game) from CodeMasters they'll know (or at least they should) what game im talking about cos it was one of the mini games you cold play if on there...

along with Dodge the Express...god that game rocked..might try doing that aswell...
    Message on a gravestone: I finished before you in the human race.

Using: Flash MX

Ihoss
    ask my brother about the cup game. ive had more than enough of it. with cards its called 3 card monty. ive seen a very good minigame with that (with a huge gorrila eating bananas to distract you. one of those things u just have to sit playing throughout the night).

oh, and squize, NO!
    (only squize could have come up with something like that )

we got the name, dont we?

FlashKit Minigame Marathon

Sounds like a great idea.

Have you guys played Naked Hero 3? Seems to be a similar type game - collection of short games with increasing difficulty.

Here is the link

The filesize is 3.7meg that might be too much for dial-up users but there are lot of good games in it.
    Last edited by io3; 01-21-2004 at 06:00 PM.
    Looking for something different? Check out Tuti TV at http://www.tuti.tv/

Just created a folder on my webspace for any minigames i make... so the above url is now invalid sorry. Also created another minigame:

http://www.moor47.fsnet.co.uk/miniga...%20madness.htm
    http://www.moor47.fsnet.co.uk/miniga...%20madness.swf
    http://www.moor47.fsnet.co.uk/miniga...%20madness.fla

http://www.moor47.fsnet.co.uk/minigames/paddler.htm
    http://www.moor47.fsnet.co.uk/minigames/paddler.swf
    http://www.moor47.fsnet.co.uk/minigames/paddler.fla

Again, if someone would like to make some nice graphics for it, that would be cool :-)

- Tommy boy.
    Last edited by random10122; 01-21-2004 at 06:24 PM.

fracture2 - the sequel
    fracture - retro shooter
    blog - games, design and the rest

"2D is a format, not a limitation" -Luis Barriga

FK Junkie
    Originally posted by kdsh7
    The 40 pixel space on the bottom was to make sure nobody overlaps the loader. That 40 pixels has got to be kept free since the games will be loaded on top - so either keep it free or mask it out.
    If the loader is changed to load the games into movie clips rather than levels, you will be able to legitimately force the loader objects to appear on top without the need for any kind of blank space or special masking within each minigame.

IMO, the simpler you can make the minigame template, the better.

ahahah I was about to make the exact same post TighfighT, stick it in an MC, then you can just have the simple countdown thingy over the top, no problem with depths.

I think quality should be included in gameInfo, cause some games are vector (read: all mine atm), and some need the speed.

I dont know if changing the controls is anything that needs to be done.. arrows and space are fairly intuitive.
    Christopher Rhodes
    squarecircleco.

The loader's going through a complete re-write with all of Pred's suggestions going in. It's almost done but I'm keeping off the artwork until we have more games ready since it would be nice if it could be based on the first collection of games.

io3, Naked Hero was very polished and fun, but not very intuitive. Also, loading the full 3Mb in one go took forever!

Also, name suggestions? I like Minigame Marathon, since that's essentially what it is, but Squize's Bedtime fun has his delicate touch (oo-er) also. Any other suggestions

Willoughby, some mouse/keyboard graphics would be great.

I think it would be similarly great if someone on here has a wacky enough voice and temperament to shout, "MOUSE CONTROL!" and "KEYBOARD!" into a .wav file to playback over the icons just before the game starts. I think it would be a nice touch - what do you lot think?

I'll be uploading the new loader and source after i've tested it a bit more, and I'll post the final (hopefully) game specs here.

Ihoss
    that sound part would stress people up like hell.imagen trying to calm ur thoughts after 50 seconds of intense playing when something suddely screams KEYBOARD!!! i think its a good idea

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    I'm on the graphics and voice tonight!

I'll have them to you by 9:00 EST.. Okay..

-pXw

Play - Live - Work - Enjoy

Originally posted by kdsh7
    Naked Hero was very polished and fun, but not very intuitive. Also, loading the full 3Mb in one go took forever!
    Yep, you have to play some of the games a few times to figure out what to do. Also, the filesize is large but at least you know that you can play all the games. I mean, for 'Minigame Marathon' each game is loaded separately but what if loading stops? Is the current loader checking for that? Perhaps if the MovieLoadedPercent value is not changing and the CurrentBytesLoaded is less then TotalBytesLoaded then the loader could retry loading a game. Just a though.

I like the name 'Minigame Marathon' until there is a better suggestions (sorry Squize). Not sure about the voice. I guess I would have to listen to it to find out.

I don't have much for a while but on Monday I could create one or two games. I have a few ideas but not enough time...
    Looking for something different? Check out Tuti TV at http://www.tuti.tv/

i like the wacky voice idea. i could try that...
    "wen i found my gerbil dead my other gerbil was eating it i just cried and screamed"
    http://www.livescripts.net

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by some moderator : Today at 9:01 PM.

For the record, I think it should say either:

"MOUSE!" and "KEYBOARD!"

or

"MOUSE CONTROL!" and "KEYBOARD CONTROL!"

-pXw

Play - Live - Work - Enjoy

Monkey Jam
    lol, random10122 - I came up with almost the same idea as your paddle game:
    Bounceout (my 12k effort)

chopsticks

p.s. haven't finished ironing it yet
    Last edited by Chopsticks; 01-23-2004 at 08:10 PM.

Monkey Jam
    p.p.s. any chance of starting the sequence of games with a loud gong?
    Last edited by Chopsticks; 01-23-2004 at 08:11 PM.

Graphic have been sent to ksdh7... and I'll be trying my hands at the voices next.

Now that you mention the gong sound, I think maybe we should have something like this:

"MOUSE!"

"KEYBOARD!"

"READY!"

"GO!"

I have sent the sound samples...

Minigame Marathon

Let's see.. other names:

Minigame Endurance

Hyper Flash Party

Gameland (Kind of goes along with the board idea...)

Mini-Insanity

Game Panic

Kyoki (Japanese for Insanity)

Flash Kit Party

5 Seconds

Hyper Interactive Entertainment

Flash Game Scramble

Squize: sekushi na gamu

-pXw

I've got the gfx, Willoughby thanks!

Ok, for all who haven't done so, use Pred's template because that's what I've gone on for the design of the loader. There's no need to leave the space for the timer in the games now - you can actually use all the space since we're going to have a semi-transparent timer over the top - just bear in mind the timer is going to be there so don't put any critical gameplay elements at the bottom!

To bring up io3's point, we're currently loading the games into MC's now but since we're designing for MX and not MX 2004, is there any way of knowing whether the movie is fully loaded through loadMovie? Flash7 has the loadClip() command but i think it might be too early for that... I'm not sure if the command ifFrameisLoaded still works when an MC is nested in another through loadMovie

Update: Just got your sound files Willoughby - they're fantastic! Is that your voice? You could be a voice actor on Dexter's Lab/Jimmy Neutron

Chops, I think Willoughby's GO! makes a nice intro sound - but I'll try it with a gong too to see how it gets on (bang a gong get it on... sounds familiar)

Ihoss, the voices are definitely manic!

Yep. It's all me (and a lot of digital effects...)

I'm current working on my first minigame.. it will be done tonight!

-pXw

Ihoss
    if u put the getBytesLoaded in the movie ur loading and then telling it that when it was loaded it would start itself, would that work? i dont think that the getBytesLoaded works with checking if an mc is loaded.