A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: [disc] Flashkit Minigame Marathon - proposal and discussion

Yes

Squize.

Ihoss
    sorry if i misunderstood

Anyone thought about music?

Didn't it come up a couple of pages back ?

One idea was the loader has say 10 5 second tunes, which could be selected via the ID object, although no one's mentioned it since.

Squize.

FK Junkie
    Originally posted by Squize
    ( Although I'm guessing we're going to need to have a mask over the game, cause unless I'm being really stupid, anything dropping over the null zone will fall over the timer ??? ).
    Not necessarily, if you set up the handler to load the game .swfs into a movie clip instead of a _level, then you can still have the timer in a regular mc, just with a higher z-order than the placeholder (game) mc.

You know when you post something, and the exact moment you press that submit button you know you've made a dumb ass of yourself cause you haven't thought through what you've just written ?

Just ignore me, tired atm.

Squize.

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    As far as I know, all music will be inside of the main loader, and can be selected by the different pieces.

It will just be another field in the gameInfo object.

-pXw

kdsh7, can you please post the final requirements for submitted games, there seems to be a lot of misleading information... Are we dropping the 30pixels or what? It seems the best idea, theres no reason for the timer to be in the SWF...

fracture2 - the sequel
    fracture - retro shooter
    blog - games, design and the rest

"2D is a format, not a limitation" -Luis Barriga

Here's one, is it too hard? Its set on difficulty 2 with the difficulty relating to the number of balls... Maybe i should just have one ball and relate the difficulty to the speed? Hmmm. If someone would like to make some luverly graphics that would be cool

http://www.moor47.fsnet.co.uk/paddler.swf
    http://www.moor47.fsnet.co.uk/paddler.fla
    Last edited by random10122; 01-20-2004 at 05:14 PM.

fracture2 - the sequel
    fracture - retro shooter

Ihoss
    sometimes one of the balls semed to move really slow. is it suposed to be like that? real cool anyways.

Well they are started at random speeds at the moment, its easy enough to make em less random if that proves to be a problem.

Do you think we should create a seperate thread for games submissions? Or shall someone collect em on a webpage? I can do that if its required...

fracture2 - the sequel
    fracture - retro shooter

I think we should start a new thread, but first we gotta know how is doing, kdsh7.

Personally, I don't think we need to included the lower 40 pixels for the timer, but it's his call.

For now, I think we should keep doing what we're doing and just posting examples to inspire others.

-pXw

Play - Live - Work - Enjoy

Yes

startGame(difficulty){};

difficulty has 3 states

0 == easy
    1 == medium
    2 == hard
    Christopher Rhodes
    squarecircleco.

ihoss: yeh my game is possible to finish.
    tommamson: that turning thing is what makes it hard

do you think its too hard?

it would be great to have everything set in stone so that we can finish off these games. coz i just made it... and i will change to suit it later.

[offtopic]
    http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view.php?id=145643 - just a lil game that my kiwi friend sent me... will be a mobile game eventually.
    [/offtopic]

edit: here is a lil shooting game i did 2day. it would probably be rated on 1, seeing as it is pretty easy.
    http://free.hostdepartment.com/l/leight/shoot.html
    fps:30
    stage:450*350
    size: 9kb

if any changes are needed, ill make em suit this minigames thing.
    Last edited by leight; 01-21-2004 at 01:00 AM.

Ihoss
    thats real cool. i got a few game ideas im working on too. just need them to work first

Some suggestions:

1. Maybe we should define keyboard keys up/down/left/right/fire in the loader and then every game uses them (you can still use local variables in the game, you only have to get the keycodes for the different keys once in startGame() from the loader). That way all games will definitely use the same keys if we use this system and most importantly it's very easy to change keys. We could even let the user define the keys for up/down/left/right/fire in an options menu in the loader.

2. As I've mentioned before, a quality setting in the gameInfo would be nice. If the game is only using bitmaps you may want to have the _quality setting on "LOW". If we decide to have this, then the loader gfx showing during the games (the timer etc) should be designed in such a way that it looks the same in low and high quality.

leight, I suck at that shooting game! I think I need to play some Counter-strike or something because I could barely hit those things. But it's a good game.

Updated game:
    I've updated the asteroid game a bit, Added small asteroids when you destroy the big ones, and there are now only 3 levels of difficulty. If you destroy all asteroids you will be taken to the next difficulty level. The first level is pretty easy if you practise a bit. The third is pretty difficult. Tell me if you think it's reasonable.

http://www.strille.net/works/minigames/asteroids.html

ok, I think I've warmed to the 3 levels of difficulty thing - but make sure the 3rd level is difficult enough to fail 2 times out of 5
    Let's say levels 1-10 are on difficulty 0, then we increment the difficulty by 1 level every 10 levels.

The 40 pixel space on the bottom was to make sure nobody overlaps the loader. That 40 pixels has got to be kept free since the games will be loaded on top - so either keep it free or mask it out.

I'll be updating the loader tonight - Willoughby did you do any changes? I'll also post the game requirements and if we're d'accord with that we can start the new thread.

Music:

Squize - Maestro! Fancy knocking a few tunes up? Just imagine, people thinking we have Jools Holland's old band doing our soundtrack! I think I might like to contribute a track - anyone else?

What do you lot think about 5 second jingles? I think it's a good idea, but maybe someone prefers a longer looping soundtrack that changes if the next game uses something different?

Nice games everybody. You're all just a big bunch of show offs

Ihoss
    in a lot of games (like starFaller) where some stuff is outside the screen. this stuff should be covered by something in the holder movie, like an mc wiht a higher depth. so should the timer, or else some stuff can end up on top of the timer, and that will look cr*p.

also, i dont see y the game Info should hold info on the quality. this should be the players desicion, not the game maker.

Originally posted by kdsh7
    I'll be updating the loader tonight - Willoughby did you do any changes?
    Negative, but I agree with strille about the game quality setting.

Also, do you want any photos for the controls?

I'll also post the game requirements and if we're d'accord with that we can start the new thread.
    A new thread would be very helpful... I've already read the dreaded "didn't read through the entire post...but..."

Also, we should have a link to everyone's games so far, to inspire people...

Personally, and I know it's not like me to be outspoken, but I've really got no time for people who "didn't read through the entire post..."
    It's one thing to quickly skim a short post and not d/load a fla ( Which I never do ), but to just post without reading a thread first is just lazy.
    The worse one I ever saw was someone replying to JapanGreg ( Who had done his patron saint of new guys thing, which I so admire ) where greg had posted the solution, but the guy who started the thread hadn't bothered reading the solution.
    </rant>

Yeah kdsh, if you want me to knock up some sound loops then no probs. I think 5 seconds will be fine, match each game, and selecting them from the game info will be easier, so say if there are 10 loops available, you can pick the one you think suits best ( Although real men get sfx in their games and still come under the 32k mark )

As to the quality setting, I personally always use low, and I can't see any reason not too. So long as the loader only uses bitmap art it should be fine. You don't lose a thing that way, and it gives people with lower spec cpu's more chance of enjoying the games.

Willoughby it's a good idea to put all the game links in one post, even if it's only in this thread for the time being.
    Perhaps we should wait til we've got a name for the game before opening a new thread ? I'm thinking "Squize's bedtime fun". Not as a name for the game, I'm just thinking about it.

Squize.