A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: [disc] Flashkit Minigame Marathon - proposal and discussion

Chops, "GorgeousWonderJoy" makes sense now ( Although "BigBounceyMoist" is still my choice of preference )

Just knocked up a v.simple template, dunno if it's any use for anyone, but it's there kids ( MX format ).

Squize.
    Attached Files Attached Files

looks good. i might start on my game 4 it soon, after i've done my homework...
    "wen i found my gerbil dead my other gerbil was eating it i just cried and screamed"
    http://www.livescripts.net

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by some moderator : Today at 9:01 PM.

Ihoss
    im a bit confused. is this right:
    should the timer be in each game? and should the time depend on the level?

Frame1:
    //intro/loading screen
    _parent.keyboard=true; //or false for mouse
    _parent.description="Shoot all the pigions u see. use the mouse to aim and shoot with the left mouse button. If you shoot more than 50% of the pigions, you win!";
    stop();
    Frame2:
    //game playing screen. game is in an mc
    stop();
    Frame3:
    //game over screen. at fps 30 this should have 60 frames
    if(score>50){
    _root.score++:
    }
    Frame64:
    _root.play();
    this.unloadMovie();

is this right? anything ive missed?

I think it should be a structured so people can code it how they want.

eg (the following are the only things that are 100% needed):

frame1:
    code:

gameInfo{ name:"myGame", info:"dodge!",keyboard:false };
    function startGame(difficulty){}; //starts the game
    function endGame(){}; //returns game state

That way the main movie only ever calls 2 functions.

It would work like this, the loader loads the swf, grabs the gameInfo, displays it then calls startGame();, when the loader has passed the time for the game, it calls endGame(); and that function returns whether or not you died or not.. endGame(); really should only need to look like this:
    code:

function endGame(){
    return alive;
    }

Then the loader removes the movie.

Using it this way, people can make multi frame movies (if they feel comfortable programming that way), or on one single frame (my preferred method).

An example of multiple framed game:
    code:

alive = true;
    gameInfo{ name:"multiFrame",info:"Shoot!",keyboard:true};
    function startGame(difficulty){
    this.difficulty = difficulty
    gotoAndStop(2);
    }
    function endGame(){
    return alive;
    }

I think this way would be the best way to do it, in this way it would be possible to make a minigame with only 3 functions and 1 object (gameInfo,startGame,endGame,onEnterFrame)

Its incorrect to talk to _root directly, thats wouldnt be the best way to tackle a collection of games like this, especially games games coming from many different people.

Again, the games dont have score values, if you beat a game you get one point, otherwise, you lose a life.

Edit: Tomsamson has pointed out that the gameInfo object needs more variables, but I will dissagree on this reason, WarioWare was hectic, you dont have time to sit there and read instructions.. It flashed a word "DODGE!" then you dodge, and then the game ends 5 seconds later, then it flashes "HIDE!" then you hide etc. etc. etc. There isnt time to wait to read a page of instructions, it loses its edge.

Although, I do propose that the loader call 'startGame' with a variable for the difficulty of the game (WarioWare had 3 difficulties for each game, which may mean, more targets, or smaller landing zones etc.), again, this stays with the form of not giving the game control of the movie in any way.
    Last edited by iopred; 01-17-2004 at 07:40 AM.
    Christopher Rhodes
    squarecircleco.

Ihoss
    i agree that a game should have multiple frames if that is wanted, but then those can be in an mc. im still not sure on how the timer should work. should it be in the game or in the main swf? should the game control it or should the main file control it? and i also think that the function (iopred) should tell the game file to play a frame so u can actually see if u won or not and the credits for the game can be shown.
    code:

//so instead of
    function endGame(){
    return alive;
    }
    //it should be
    function endGame(){
    gotoAndPlay(5);
    }

then at the end of frame 65 (if we want the credits to be shown for 2 sec)we'll put the return alive;

ps YAY, the [ as ] tags work

Credits will slow the game down, I am fine with having my name on a main 'contributors' page, but to wait even a second at the end of each game is a bit much, the pace of the game will be lowered dramatically.

I think the timer should be 'loader' controlled, that way all game lengths are the same. Otherwise the games will be forced to make a _root call, and that destroys the whole idea of having a loader.
    Christopher Rhodes
    squarecircleco.

Ihoss
    thats what i thought, but someone wanted the time to be dependant on the level.

i added another template iopred, so u can see how long it will take. i dont think the credits will be much trubble, as the player himself chooses when he wants to start playing the current game. i think that he/she wants some time to calm down, and if we hadnt had a 2 sec credits, he/she would wait longer before playing the next game, just to calm down the nerves. anyway, this is NOT the template which is going to be used. it is just for testing.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Putting any kind of delay at the end destroys the idea of the game.

Try and play WarioWare to see, the idea of the game is not to let them rest, its game after game until you die.
    Christopher Rhodes
    squarecircleco.

When you have reached the understanding about the games basic design, I will do some too

Ihoss
    yeah i get that iopred, but to make it fast and frustrating (which is something i also want )we need an intro screen timer too, or else the player will jsut take the time they need to calm down and stretch their fingers. if the intro screen (which is where the controls (keyboard/mouse) and info ("hit the button that flashes and do it all in the right order")) has a 2 sec pause so the player can read the info and get ready, then the whole game will last 9 secons (with 2 sec credits) which is short enough.

I think the best way to do credits would just have a 'creator' in the gameInfo, which is displayed on the small intro screen.
    Christopher Rhodes
    squarecircleco.

Well I was bored, and Tomsamson started making a game, so I thought I would make one in the format which I am suggesting.

the only function which is called directly in this example is 'startGame();' exactly like it would if it was called by a loader.

I call it StarFaller, and its a dodging game, its rigged to restart when your killed.

But I feel this is the kind of thing which is needed, small games where their difficulties can be controlled by toggling a variable passed to the start function (change 'tempdifficulty' between 0-2 to change the number of stars)

Like WarioWorld, I have made the assumption that level '2' is the highest, and 0 is the default level.

Ps. Fear my spamming this thread, I appologise

Edit: Fixed
    Last edited by iopred; 01-17-2004 at 08:44 AM.
    Christopher Rhodes
    squarecircleco.

I agree with iored with the credits, just put your name in the intro bit, it can be another variable simply enough.

Those functions sound like a nice simple way of doing things, it would be good if someone could decide once and for all so people can get on with coding while enthusiasm is high.

fracture2 - the sequel
    fracture - retro shooter
    blog - games, design and the rest

"2D is a format, not a limitation" -Luis Barriga

Lets suppose we get bunch of games together, then what? Where will it be hosted? Can anyone put it in their homepage? Can it be sold? If it can appear in many places, should we have one "official" location? What if I want to translate the loader part to my language, can I change it and still load all the games into it?

I'd be willing to host it, or we could see if Mark F. would host it here kinda like FK used to host the FK Arcade... I'm working on a game right now..

This sounds interesting. I would love to contribute with a game or two.

I agree with iopred, the best way to do this is to let the loader movie call startGame() in the game movie with some arguments like difficulty and then call endGame() when the time is up, which returns true if the player is still alive. The games do not keep track of the time either, that's done by the loader. That way it's easy to change the game time (depending on difficulty perhaps?)

The game should not talk to the _root, in fact, it's probably a good idea to use _lockroot so that the game can't access the loader by using _root (but that would require the loader to be published as a Flash 7 movie).

And the game info: Another way would be to store that in an xml file instead of on frame 1 in the game (every game has an xml file). It would be a very simple and small xml file which could be loaded very fast. That way you can show the game info like mouse/keyboard icon and instructions while the game is loading. Or is the next game already loaded when it's time to show the instructions?

Maybe game width and game height should be stored in gameInfo as well? That way you could have a quick, flashy "resizing" tween (you tween in black horizontal/vertical borders) if the game is not equal to the max dimensions. This will add a bit of variation I think, and the feeling that you play completely different games.

iopred, StarFaller is a very good example.

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    Wow...a lot of different ideas...

I think the majority of the suggestions and questions should be answered by kdsh7, but I'll try my best to sort through everything.

For people concerned with credit, the original rough layout I designed had a space for the name of the game and creator, and even a logo. I'm not sure if we're going to do that anymore, but it was certainly a way to address the credit issue. People could always see the name of the game and who created it that way.

iopred's function idea seems like a great way to do the games. We could even hand out a "template" fla file which everyone would have to use.

The only potential change I see, is some of the Wario Ware games have specific directions, like up, down, right, left, instead of just keyboard or mouse...

For the sake of simplicity, I think all creators should use the stage size which kdsh7 has announced:

Dimensions:
    EDIT: 450 x 350 stage size - leave a 50 pixel gap at the bottom for the timer. Game should run at 30fps.

To answer Tonypa's questions, I think this project should be hosted at one location, due to the nature of the game and number of possible contributor. This game will not be sold. I see it as a fun community project...

EDIT: I'm not sure if kdsh7 agrees with me, but I think ioPred's template is the way to go... for the minigames that is...
    Last edited by WilloughbyJackson; 01-17-2004 at 03:31 PM.

I dont think the idea about changing between keyboard and mouse is very good. If someone plays the game, Im sure he expects to have same controls all the time. Its very annoying to switch from mouse to keyboard and back in every 5 seconds.

Its all about speed, but the controls might mess up the whole idea.

you´re right tonypa,then again only allowing keyboard controls or only allowing mouse would decrease the number of games that can be created nicely.
    for example my game currently only uses the cursor keys but i´d like to change it so that you also use the mouse.

to all who take part in this one:
    let me know what´s more important to you,consistent controls throughout all games or more game control options for the game developers.
    (i´m not into changing my game for mouse controls and then i have to change it back to cursor key controls and i guess its the same for all who create games).

you can check the current version of my game here:
    http://www.stimunation.com/majortom/compowompo1.html

(cursor key controls)
    the aim will be to reach the second platform in five seconds

imagine if it´d be more fun for you to be able to aim with the mouse (and let me know your thoughts)
    Last edited by tomsamson; 01-17-2004 at 04:55 PM.

Ihoss
    what if we ahve it so that every 10 games we change the control. first 10 u use keyboard and next 10 u use mouse. then we get high speeds and different games.