A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: [disc] Flashkit Minigame Marathon - proposal and discussion

Just saw this, dunno if it's been posted before: WarioWare won www.ign.com's award for best action game on the gba.

nice

another thought: the loader should check if the game is loaded before startgame is called

http://iopred.stimunation.com/popz0r.html

Second entry.

It also forces its own startGame(); just to demonstrate of course =D

Also is the way that we should handle premature gameOvers. (if you win, or lose before the time runs out, in this case, if you win early, you get a little YEAH! screen)

Its also on the highest difficulty (3 balls)
    Last edited by iopred; 01-17-2004 at 11:10 PM.
    Christopher Rhodes
    squarecircleco.

Heres my first entry -

Incredibly unoriginal - but it should work for a fast-paced game like this.

Please tell me if this game fits in with the criteria.

I'll add graphics later.
    Attached Files Attached Files

doItLikeThis
    Oh yeah, go WWF (Wario Ware Flash) project. can I also contribute some mini games in this project , what say
    -Aditya

Ihoss
    everyone can contribute as long as u follow the guidelines.

I have a proposal..

Some games dont need to be the full 5 seconds, and having 3 seconds worth of pausing at the end of each game isnt the best thing to have.

I propose a final standard function for all games which is:

checkFinished();

if this function returns true, the loader will then call endGame(); straight away.

otherwise, the loader does nothing, and calls checkFinished() again on the net frame etc. etc. etc.

a general checkFinished(); will look like this:

code:

function checkFinished(){
    if(gameover){
    return true;
    }
    return false;
    }

Any game that is 'survive for the whole 5 seconds', a game would only need a basic checkFinished(); which would look like this:

code:

function checkFinished(){
    return false;
    }

This way we can have games that go for really short, and end whenever the programmer wants too.
    Christopher Rhodes
    squarecircleco.

My proposal for the basic template, I will be making my games from this template from now on

Thinking further.. I cant see a game that WONT need to end itself quicker.. even games where you need to survive for the 5 seconds.. if you die in the first 2 seconds.. you also dont want to wait it out.. meh..

Edit:

http://iopred.stimunation.com/fatBouncer.html

New game.. fatBouncer... again its on the hardest difficulty
    Last edited by iopred; 01-18-2004 at 08:47 AM.
    Christopher Rhodes
    squarecircleco.

Ihoss
    good point and good idea.

I've created a small asteroid game where the goal is to destroy all asteroids before the time is up. You cannot die.

http://www.strille.net/works/minigames/asteroids.html

Right now it is restarting every 5 seconds (if not running through the loader), and if you are victorious the difficulty level will increase (more asteroids and/or it takes more shots to destroy them). The difficulty levels are not tweaked that much.

I think I have included everything, this version should work with the loader.

I set _quality="LOW" in startGame() and then restore the _quality setting to whatever it was in endGame(). Hope this is ok. Maybe we should include a quality option in gameInfo?

And the 40 pixel border at the bottom, what is it for and does it have to be included in the game file? Isn't it better to have that in the loader?
    Last edited by strille; 01-19-2004 at 08:12 PM.

nice games fellas
    i´ve got several ones in the makes,too,should be ready by the end of the week =)
    strille,its a good idea to put the quality setting in the game info object,we should do it like that.
    the 40 pixel border was intended for the timer but you´re right,the games don´t need it.

FK Junkie
    Nice games and great idea, I'll try and come up with something in the next day or two using io:pred's template.

My opinions on the questions still open:
    -All games should be the same size. Even if you only need half of that as playable space, you can fill up the rest with a static graphic, just flat black, or whatever.
    -There is no reason to worry about keeping room in the game movies for the timer or any other loader-handled objects.

So long as we nail down the "rules" for making each mini-game, we can take as long as is needed figuring out how the loader should "use" those minigames.

A couple of ideas on that:

-The loader should split the games into "blocks". The difficulty goes through the 3 (or however many) levels as you go through each block, and resets back to 0 once you complete the last game in the current block.
    -A given block should be all keyboard or all mouse, and it should be apparent which one it is when the "block" starts.

im in this too

Heres my first game:
    http://grafikdezign.free.fr/medieval_mayhem/turret.htm - 23 kb.

Its only 450 x 310 - I removed the null zone.

Right click and click forward to play.

here is what could look somefin like one of my games.

fps: 30
    stage: 450x350
    size: 16kb .swf
    move: jump, left/right (arrow keys)

doh - i made teh timer area 50 pixils high. but thats easy to fix - ill do it 2mrw coz i gota go to bed, 12:09 am.

what do you think?

http://free.hostdepartment.com/l/leight/time.html

coolies,i like it,got woot after several attempts
    (though the turning of the character was what made it really tricky,maybe you could change it so that you can also jump in the opposite direction than the one you´re facing,instead of always having to turn your character first )

Ifritt,yours is cool,too

you should make a nice logo/description word for your games

anyway,i see we´re getting a nice bunch of creative games here,which rocks =)

Ihoss
    leight, is urs possible?

ifritt, urs seems to move kinda slow. if u can speed up the movement of the bullets and the ships, it would be much better.

hey, i have to make somehting real cool too now

Ihoss
    what is the dificulty range? and should we just drop the null zone and make the game 40 pixels shorter?

ihoss, I'm putting 3 difficulty levels in mine ( I'm just blindly copying pred ).

As to the null zone, I really don't think we need it ( Although I'm guessing we're going to need to have a mask over the game, cause unless I'm being really stupid, anything dropping over the null zone will fall over the timer ??? ).

Excellent entries so far everyone. I knew that everyone would get a bit competative and it would push the standards up

Squize.

Ihoss
    when start game is called it will pass on the difficulty variable. is that the one which has 3 states?