A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: MX 2004 professional actions script

Sick of the web

MX 2004 professional actions script

Hey ,

I'm playing with the new 2004 professional and I'm having a real issue here.

They seem to have drastically changed the way the action pannel works. For starters, let's say I put a button on the screen and try to add a "play" action to the button.... All it does is put in play() , but does not include any of the Event Handlers.... So it doesn't work...

Did they change 2004 so that everything has to be hand written or something?

Can someone elighten me as to what they've done here.

thanks

The "Normal" mode has been removed from 2004. Bad decision but supposedly if you have some AS experience it shouldn't be a problem. But, of course if you don't then your kinda stuck. My suggestion: Learn AS (not being mean here) or open Flash MX, do the same thing you are trying to accomplish in 04, copy the AS code and paste it into the 04 AS panel.
    Just a way for you to get it working properly. Soon you won't miss the Normal view in 04

I agree, probably a bad decision on Macromedia's part....at least for new comers. But you should always work in expert mode as far as I'm concerned. It's good practice and helps you learn and understand coding much better.
    Ohhhh jeez.......not again.

Sick of the web
    Yeah,, I totally agree,,,

I let myself get too far ahead with AS in normal mode when I was learning that I never felt like "going backwards" to learn expert mode , so I just kept pluggin along that way....

Now I regret it.... Knew it would come to haunt me some day....

It is better to change to expert mode from the beginning. Also there are several buttons in the actionscript window and clicking one of them will screen the correctness of the syntax meaning are all parenthesis correct and is the flash as syntax correct. It helps a lot. I don't even want to think about going back to the other mode.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -