A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: gradient around the edges of a head

gradient around the edges of a head

I need to make a subtle gradient around the edges of this head.

If you drop the arrow down on the head layer, you can see my attempt, which only took into account the background color and the sides of the head.

I need the gradient to be along the edges of this head and not in the center.

I've tried a few things, but none seems to be what the client wants and her description is above in this email.

She likes the gradients on this page, but there are so many and they are color, so I think that this page is just a bit of an idea:

www.jamesdonegan.net

OH: and I put squares of the other colors on the webpage to the left and the background is the same as the page (maybe this is the only thing that needs be done: a gradient around the edge of the head the color of the background).

Thanks.
    seapod00

I'm not sure if I know exactly what you are talking about or not, but I took a crack at it nonetheless. So did you want a gradient glow around the head that uses the colors in those three chips? Or did you want the edges of the head to just fade into transparency as the square edges of the photos in the site you linked to do? If you want the exact same effect as the example site, but following the outline of her head let me know and I will type up some instructions.

Example .PSD
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

"fade into transparency as the square edges of the photos in the site you linked to do?" yes this. i'd love some of your expert instructions! thanks.
    seapod00

So rather than applying some kind of gradient to the outline of her head, you will actually be deleting a portion of the head along the outer edges. The first thing you want to do is duplicate the head layer so you will always have the original to come back to if you don't like the results. After that the steps are outlined below.

mrush

Top notch instruction, Rush!

Thanks
    mrush

Wow. Such a great tutorial. I've got the head selected, but how did you contract the selection by 6 pixels?
    seapod00

Rushvision:

Is there anywhere that I can post your praise so that you get a Moderator raise or something? You're so helpful.
    seapod00

Since I am here I can add to this... or will try to anyways.

I'm working with PS4 at work (we're cheap here), so bear with me.

Make your selection
    Go to the top menu bar, and click on SELECT
    choose MODIFY
    choose CONTRACT

... I just d/l'ed PS7 at home and have yet to figure out what the commands are for that, but I'm sure they are similar.

They are the same in 7. Thks.
    seapod00

Originally posted by seapod00
    Rushvision:

Is there anywhere that I can post your praise so that you get a Moderator raise or something? You're so helpful.
    If we actually got paid for the time we spent here I would certainly be happy to point you to the appropriate place. I appreciate the thought, though.
    mrush

RUSH, so you actually work for FK, or are you just so regular here, that they made you a mod?

Gotcha! Maybe someone ought to program a moderator tip cup then?
    seapod00

Originally posted by GrafX Munk-e
    RUSH, so you actually work for FK, or are you just so regular here, that they made you a mod?
    No, I don't work for FK. None of the mods do, nor do they get paid. I was actually asked to mod for the SWfx support forum after helping out in there for a little while. Somewhere along the line I was also added to the 3D and Swift3D forums. I'm not officially a mod for the D&G forum, I just spend a fair amount of time here.
    mrush

Glad to have to hang out here...

You could teach for a place like sessions.edu and get paid to do this. I am going through their screening process to teach there online...

Do people ever hire you cuz you've helped them?

Where's your portfolio url?
    seapod00

My site is undergoing restructuring at the moment and is currently unavailable unfortunately. So what course(s) are you looking to teach? And yes, I've gotten a few jobs from people who have seen my work here at FK.
    mrush

don't know what courses I'm teaching yet. I'm still waiting for the paperwork to go through.
    seapod00