A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: detecting flash player

*insert witty title here*

detecting flash player

Hi,

I had to format my machine machine recently and well I forgot to backup my flash detector. I had a really good one which i downloaded from the macromedia site, so of course i went back to download it again and now it ain't there.

Basically you could set which version was needed of flash and the detector would find out if the user has this version or an older one. You then set a detected page (usually where your site is), and a no flash page, which is where u send the user if they don't have flash or the version that is needed.

anyone know where i can get a detector like this again???

PLEASE!!! ?????

*insert witty title here*
    thanks heaps, worked well

madskool.wordpress.com brutfood's Avatar
    Don't forget to make it mac friendly. Macromedia hate Apple macs. They make the player slower on the mac. They nobble javascript to flash communication. And they ensure that their flash plug-in detection schemes don't work on macs.

Work round the limitations imposed by Macromedia's incompetant engineers - but don't put the poor mac owner in a situation where he's stuck, being told that he has no plug-in, when he knows damn right that he has.
    AIR, ActionScript 3, Flex and Flash expert and freelance developer

i've noticed on my mac that it gets a false negative in the detection. are there work arounds or do you just put a "if you are certain that you have the latest player" note on the page that comes up when the player isnt detected?

madskool.wordpress.com brutfood's Avatar
    Some web sites rely totally on the detector, giving the user no way to manually proceed to the flash content.

But being Mac users, we'll be more aware of cross-platform considerations than that.

So either put in a 'bypass' url link as you suggest, or even load in a small .swf file into this page with a getURL to the page containing the main .swf. This will obviously only work if the user has the flash player
    AIR, ActionScript 3, Flex and Flash expert and freelance developer

ok . so im trying to build a detection script based on all of this. i have started with the macromedia kit on a mac, OSX, here is my question; i have the latest flash player installed so in order to test the detection, i took the plug-ins out of my folder in the library and now i just get a message that says "an error occured while loading the plugin ShockwaveFlash NP-PPC" on IE and a similar message on Safari instead of the "missing flash" message page. how do you work with the testing process?

Banned
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...ove_player.htm

Don't come and complain to me, if you can't re-install after you're done with your testing!