A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Really annoying, but probably really simple....

Really annoying, but probably really simple....

hi, i'm making a website in flash for a guy who has no idea how to flash, but will need to update the site frequently . the site will have two year dates (2004 & 2005), when you click on either of the dates a menu with a set number (8) of menu items will appear to show the events which will be taking place for that year. the 'year' text fields will be dynamic and will retrieve the date from variables in a separate txt file, as will the 'events' text fields. however, if there are only 3 events taking place, i do not want 8 menu items showing. so...is there any way that i can have another variable in the text file, &menunumber, for example. if the menunumber variable = 3, then the last four menu items are hidden by a solid white box, using the setProperty sctionScript and setting the _alpha to zero.

how do i set this up, so that it performs its task as soon as the web page is loaded?? or can u suggest a better way to do it?

thanks

i don't have the exact code to help you on this, but i have an idea...

you don't really have to have all the textboxes present in the file..

you could have it that there is code to create a textfield for the date and the event based on the items in the text file...

it would be like a loop in code, to create a textfield(or a movieclip) for every item in the textbox. therefore, once the textfile is at the end, there would be no more need to instantiate textfields..

i hope this helps,and that someone can give proper code. sory i couldn't do more...
    Flash MX + ASP + WinXP Pro
    Now Learning PHP & MySQL

hey, thanks for your reply..i think i know what you mean and it would be really good if i could get it working. so if anyone help help me out with a bit of code?

Also, can anyone help me with another problem. I have a text file that has the variable menu_number. i want to be able to say:

if menu_number = 2
    then
    draw box (whatever size and position)
    else if menu_number = 3
    then
    else if menu_number = 4
    then

and so on..

but, i can't seem to get flash to recognise that the variable is a number. and so when i write the appropriate code, the argument isn't right.

if you have any ideas on how to fix this problem, please help!

thanks

any ideas anyone?