A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Q: Check for INTERNET CONNECTION (swfStudio)

Q: Check for INTERNET CONNECTION (swfStudio)

I thought someone would have asked this here already, but i did a search and the closest thing i got was this guy saying SWFStudio doesnt check for internet connection properly, it returns true if you're connected on a LAN, or Hub, which is rather inaccurate.

So, im wondering if there is a way, now, to check for REAL INTERNET CONNECTION using SWFStudio?

BTW I couldnt find help in the help file either.

Tea

You'll probably get a faster response at the SWF Studio forums at http://www.northcode.com/forums

Alternatively, download a copy of Flash Studio PRO and you can use the flashstudio.checkconnection command.

Also, you can check for an internet connection by trying to load variabls from a txt file online... if they load up, then the system is connected! Easy

tnx. i was hoping to get answers here though. but, yeah, fare enough. ill check them out there.

thanks again

Tea

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    The SysInfo plugin in SWF Studio has a function called ConnectState that allows you to check for an internet connection, but the main purpose is to look for a modem that is on-hook (not dialed) so you don't accidentally force the modem to dial.

If ConnectState returns ONLINE then there is another connection (LAN, Cable, DSL, etc) and it's usually safe to do a loadVariables or something to confirm an interbet connection.

ConnectState has an option that does a ping after verifying the ONLINE status but most servers reject ping packets now to avoid DOS attacks so I've recommended against using that part of the ConnectState functionality.

what does Flashstudio use for the internet connection test?

Flash Studio PRO has several different commands which cn be used to run a simple check, an advanced check which returns what kind of connection is present and also a ping command for more experienced users.

You might also want to try JNetCheck for minimum overheads and to keep the orginal projector file. JNetCheck is only 40KB. If writes the results to a text file.

Download an evaluation copy and check the example files given :

http://jnetcheck.***********.com

Good Luck