A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Desperately need help with preloader

Desperately need help with preloader

Can anyone help me with a preloader problem that I am having? I am working on a site

www.putthecameraonme.com

I have tried about 5 different preloader techniques but keep getting the same problem; The preloader doesn’t appear until the site is almost completely loaded. Has anyone else encountered this problem? If ANYONE can help me I would appreciate it. If you can help please email me at <removed>

Thank you

Banned

God bless you

Wow, you have no idea how frustrating this was. Thank you sooo much for solving this for me. I do have a couple questions though.

Are we able to customize the preloader? I mean - can we add simple graphics to it - take away the movie loop - maybe change the color of the loading bar - that kind of thing - without it affecting the preloader?

And why does flash export everything on the first frame in movies - does it do that to every movie - is there a way to tell flash not to do that?

Thank you so much for your help, you're a life saver.

Banned
    Yep! You can change any display elements, as long as you know what you're doing and don't touch the actual preloading code.
    You'll also have to repeat the visibility or invisibility code of all your new display elements, as I have done with mine. Beware the reel & bar are set to be invisible to start with, and are only made visible when necessary...

I don't know what you're using in your movie... Components, attached movies clips and/or sounds, or new fonts set in your Library, but yes there are other workarounds that will keep Flash from dowloading those above elements on the first frame, but in most situations, it's even more work and problematic than just using my workaround.