A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pixel Art

Thanx 4 the kudos ThundaChunk! I have been working on a newer version of the site.. Ive just haven't had the time to finish it. Hopefully in the next month it will be done!
    Cheers!
    I earned my avatar, not like you noobz!

Soflaimports , nice work dude, start small, work up.

Have you been following any tutorials? There's loads around covering isometric drawing on a per-pixel basis. Look up stuff on icons/sprites especially. I've not got my favourites list from work, but I'll post some sites monday.

Label - Woot!

Here's my latest dabblings.. Very small scale, and the customer thought they were clipart.

The shame .

http://www.essentialwineclub.com

I've been into pixel art for ages... but i just can't seem to do it.... too hard....

But with that beautiful tutorial (i was waiting for this for years) i think i can make it.....

thanx peeps.
    Cannot comprehend this site still exists

IVE JUST FOUND THE BEST PIXEL ART TUTORIAL FOR NOOBS!
    http://rhysd.syntesis.org/tutorial/index.php

check it out!

hehe. Great minds think alike, or something eh ? Just did, back here

Woops.. Hahhaa you are right.. great minds do think alike!

And fools never differ

- I made this!
    http://www.okkle.co.uk - creatures, art, animation and toys!
    Toilet Trumps

Here's a couple more for aspiring pixel people :

Great Tutorial on making a building :

http://www.idigitalemotion.com/tutor...xel/pixel.html

Forum based tutorial on Pixel character creation :

http://www.graphic-forums.com/showth...&threadid=4083

Tutorials on various aspects of isometric pixel drawing from the theory to the aplication :

http://www.zoggles.co.uk/asp/tutorials.asp?tut=1

Stuff I started for a recent site, mostly got replaced by nicer looking photos.

Hehe, they thought it was clipart - not sure if that's a compliment or an insult.

Last edited by JohnnySix; 08-24-2004 at 07:56 AM.

FK's official coffee addict gasbag15's Avatar
    I wouldn't say pixel drawings are the best thing to use on a wine site. Photography would probably be best as its abit more "poshy".

Thx for the idigitalmotion link, I was surfing the tutorials for aaaaages :P some really nice stuff there.

Heheh, yeah, looking back on it and all. Probably wasn't the best choice. It's all post photos now.

It's been fun doing some sprite style stuff again though.

Has anyone here ever dabbled with Klick & Play, The Games Factory or Click & Create ? ?

They were pretty popular programs in the UK and Europe during the 90's for making Windows based games.

You had an engine pre-built, with physics for top-down race car, plaformer and other generic styles of game movement, and with a couple of events set-up in a table style game event thing (if ball hits ball2 make ball2 explode etc. ), you could make some pretty cool windows games.

I'm gonna try find some of my old sprites, the program would allow import of a few formats (mainly bmp/gif/jpg with limited support for transparency) but mostly the characters and scenery would have to be draw pixel by pixel.

It's funny to me now reading up on the names of techniques I'd been using without knowing. For one, overusage of pillow shading. hehe.

Nice work, tho as gasbag said photos are more posh and fit in with wine better

Where can I get these programs, click and Play etc. etc, and are they Free/Cheap?
    Last edited by JohnnySix; 08-26-2004 at 01:56 PM.
    - I made this!
    http://www.okkle.co.uk - creatures, art, animation and toys!
    Toilet Trumps

Originally posted by Olly K
    Nice work, tho as gasbag said photos are more posh and fit in with wine better

Where can I get these programs, click and Play etc. etc, and are they Free/Cheap?
    LOL.. Oops. .The quote button is too close to the edit button.

I'd not looked at the site for a while, but, so cool, they STILL make it

http://www.clickteam.com/English/tgf.htm

It's about the price of a pizza here in UK taking exchange rates into account. So yeah, pretty cheap now. I bought it for £50 back in the 90's, complete with an inch thick manual and a fancy box.

great stuff here. I really can't do pixel art but i have always been a fan of pixel art.

One question though..... if you make a pixel art fo 200 px by 200 px and your client decided that it needs to be bigger say 500 px x 500 px -- what does it mean to your pixel art?

Do you need to redo the art or just resize it like I do with vector-based images?

keep up excellent work btw.

Always Twirling Toward Freedom pooon's Avatar
    Resizing may be possible. It'll certainly be a lot blockier.

Originally posted by pooon
    Resizing may be possible. It'll certainly be a lot blockier.

yep that's what I was wondering about -- what do you tell your client about this if they asked for it to be bigger?

would it look "uglier" if you resize it?

Originally posted by tonytryout
    would it look "uglier" if you resize it?
    Some artists will resize on purpose. Quite a few sites with super chunky looking pixel stuff. Can't think of any off-hand, but in most cases, it looks cool, especially on larger resolutions where the crispness of pixel sized stuff is lost. (think 1600x1536 )

As long as you keep the sizes in powers of two (IE, 1:2 1:4 etc) you shouldn't get any nasty effects like you sometimes see, where a line of pixels appears thicker than another.

If I'm sizing up stuff in photoshop (same is true of fireworks), and I want to make sure it doesn't get blurred ( most apps interpolate pixel values to smooth scaled images), I set it to nearest neighbour (there's a drop down with smoothing options, usually bicubic,bilinear, nearest neighbour etc. ).

I don't know about PSP, I've not used it so I don't know the options, but there should be an option to resize without blurring/smoothing.

If you absolutely have to scale the image to a weird size, scale up first with nearest neighbour and then scale down with bicubic, perhaps doing a 40% Unsharp Mask on it afterwards to crisp it up.

ah I see now -- nice one!

cheers mate.

Or simply open the image with MSPaint and supersize it there! But make sure you expand the image with the tools option of resize .. and make sure to make the % whole numbers.. I recommend you supersize it 200% first and then go from there up or down.

Man.. the only thing I miss from windows is Paint.. but hee I would not trade my mac for anything!

Always Twirling Toward Freedom pooon's Avatar
    After a long rest, I've gotten back on the pixel art train. I'm redesigning my website to a pixel art style.

The first 2 buildings took about 7 hours combined and the panacea theatre took over 10 hours by itself. I've started using Photoshop to my the pixel art insted of MS Paint. Once you get used to it, there's no going back to ms paint.
    Last edited by pooon; 04-04-2006 at 02:47 PM.