A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Search Database.

unfortunatley i have no experince of using ASP or SQL.
    THough I am willing to learn how to use it. I don't need to know the nitty gritty of it, I just want to know how to set up the application.

COULD YOU PLEASE HELP ME????

Thanks for all you help

Ashwin

maybe you didn't see my post on the previous page.

I didn't quite get what you were talking about. I am using Windows 98 and I plan to host my website on a paid host - hopefully Active ISP.

Hope this is the info you want edeveloper

Thanks for your help

aShwin

asp has to run on a microsoft NT Server. If you are able to use asp, i can send you the files to do what you want.

I still don't get it(sorry) DO I need to purchase a NT server or the program. I sit the Personal Web Server program from Win 98.

What exactly do I need?

Thanks fo being so persistent

Thankyou
    Ashwin

you can use pws for developement but you need to find an isp that offers asp hosting. http://www.brinkster.com offers free asp/access db hosting with no ads or banners and 30mgs of space all free. it's good for testing but it can be slow.

I have signed up with brinkster for testing, if you send me the files and basic instructions, hopefully I will be able to get it to work.

THankyou so much edeveloper
    I really appreciate your persistence

THanks once again

aShwin

Cool

Nice one ashwin ... see you when you the space dust clears from the centre of your brain and you can see through your eyes again.

:0)

Steve.

[Edited by StephenRees on 11-13-2000 at 03:33 PM]

are you insulting me steve or not? - i can't work it out?

resolved Space Dust

When the space dust settles and you can see again you will also see that it is not an insult. We have all been there, puffy eyes, radiation poisoning, brain pounding, too tired to sleep.
    You have yet to learn the delites of server land. If you can get hold of NT or Win2000 then do ... it will be a lot more informative than 95/98.
    If you go mad about domain names then don't ... remember these words .... and servers just want to hang you upside down and bleed you to death.
    And when its settled you will be a server.
    And you will know.

Steve.

thanks for the advice
    Lets hope it clears up pretty soon!!!1

resolved Use my tutorial.

Can you people help this guy? Ashwinu, go to my thread and read also my saga. At the end of the thread, there is some detailed explanation on how to do a search engine. If you need the files, let me know. You know, I hated it when I was asking the same questions and no one came to my help on this board. If you can't find the answers, please go to chinwag.com and post your questions there, They are more professional and serious about Flash development.
    Here is my thread. Hope it helps.
    http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...threadid=13860
    Mayaflash

The Supreme Shaman and Keeper of Polar Lights
    Hi !

And what about "search" button in databases examples from my page ?

Originally posted by ashwinv
    I still don't get it(sorry) DO I need to purchase a NT server or the program. I sit the Personal Web Server program from Win 98.

What exactly do I need?

Thanks fo being so persistent

Thankyou
    Ashwin
    Ok, Ashwin... the problem is not that the people here can't help you, it's just you don't understand the help they are offering. Before you can make your search engine with flash you will have to bring you scripting(asp/java, whatever) skills up to speed.

There is no easy way to explain how something like a search engine is constructed if you don't know how to code in at least one scripting language. It's even harder to explain over a message board!

You need to go a read some ASP tutors about how to set up a web server to run ASP or whatever technology you choose to use.

Another thing I should mention is that ASP and Flash is not something many people have tried to bring together in working web based application. It's hard to find coders/designers who know enough about both ASP/Database integration and Flash action scripting.

My guest book is about as easy as it gets when it comes to Flash/ASP/Database applications. There is no tutor because as any programmer will tell you, 50% of a programmer’s time is spent debugging and writing documentation. I don't have the time to write a tutor for it and I don't think I ever will(not unless someone pays me) Plus, some developers I've chatted to on flash kit are writing tutors for ASP/Flash applications and they could do a better job at writing them than me.

So, if you hang around for a few weeks and you might find what your after here, if not, time to hit the ASP tutors BIG TIME and catch up with the bleeding edge my friend

[Edited by riff on 11-14-2000 at 10:31 PM]

Well put my friend.
    I never was any good at english, just Maths.
    So I can't document stuff ( or won't ).