A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash Component Size?

Flash Component Size?

I have made an xml driven flash movie that uses two instances of the combo box component and two text area components. The movie loads prices and very small pics according to user interaction and the xml. The problem is, the movie is 300 kb and I don't know why. Is it the components making it that size? and if so, what, if anything can I do about it?

thanks.

what version of flash are you using?

I am currently making something with flash pro 2004 with following components:

2 combobox
    5 textarea
    2 radiobutton
    2 datagrid
    3 buttons
    1 xml connector

and that is all under 115 kb. so if you are using flash 2004 i doubt the components are making the file that big.

I am also using Flash Pro 2004. There is really nothing in the movie...It was just a test of all the back end before I added the graphics. I even checked the library to make sure it was empty - who knows, right?

But then yours is so small so there must be something....

let me know if you come across something and I'll do the same.

Thanks for your reply

ok, I managed to find one thing in the movie that was unused and removing it got the final swf file down to 288 k.

If anyone is interested, the .fla and everything is posted at http://homepage.mac.com/tslager/ . If nothing else, it's a cool way to see how flash components are used...

thanks

I downloaded your file and it is very similar to the xml binding I am doing! Did you by chance follow the bike adventure tutorial from macromedia?

Anyway I copied the frames (frame 1) and pasted them into a new .fla file and redid your bindings, and the result was a swf file of 88 kb .

So if I were you i would just select all of frame 1 in your original movie and copy them, then paste them into a new flash file and redo the bindings and it should result in much smaller final size. There is somethign extra in the original file balooning the size, but i have no clue what it is.

Awesome! Worked. Same thing - 88k.

I have no Idea what was causing it.

Anyway, thanks for all your effort.

Oh, and yes, I learned how to use that component from that tutorial. I hope it wasn't too obvious.

Thanks again