A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Change music between scenes w/ fade?

Change music between scenes w/ fade?

Is it possible to change a loop between scenes AND have it fade in and fade out as the scenes change?? I apologize, in advance, if this question has already been posted!

sure its possible, but requires some committed ActionScripting skill on your part.

are you trying to crossfade two loops between scenes?

Yes, thats what I am trying to do...and its for a freelance job, so no matter how difficult it may be for me, I have to do it! If you can help, that would be great!
    I have 5 different scenes in this movie. And I would like for each scene to have its own music, but its so hard to make a nice transition, so I hope this works!

assuming that you want music from scene 1 to play a short bit over into scene 2, and fade out as scene 2 loop starts to fade in...

you will need to review how sound objects work (FAQ #36).
    FAQ #10 discusses techniques for sounds to play across scenes
    FAQ #4 for ideas on how to dynamically fade out sounds

I would suggest that you break the problem down into component parts and solving each one individually.

For example, first you might try to get sounds to play across scenes, then work on actionscript fades with one sound, but without any scenes, then crossfading two sounds, then putting it all together.

From an aesthetic point of view loops crossfade best when the beats line up, but this could be quite difficult to do in your context, so hopefully the end result you get will be acceptible.

Thank you for your help!