A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help with Buttons, Variables especially... Desparate

Help with Buttons, Variables especially... Desparate

Summary:
    Basically I need help getting variables, passed from flashvars into movie clips based on if clauses...

Details:
    So in the flashvars are a couple of variables. Lets say, button01text=DESIGN&button02text=NEWS&button03text =CONTACT

I can already get it so that the text fields show the text DESIGN | NEWS | CONTACT

that part is cool.

but the way each button works is like this...

clicking on button01 which now has the text DESIGN over it, causes a movie clip called animationforbutton01 to play. at the end of that animation, i need it to redirect using geturl to content.pl?x=D

clicking on button02 which now has the text NEWS over it, causes a movie clip called animationforbutton02 to play. at the end of that animation, i needit to redirect using geturl to content.pl?x=N

make sense? the problem is I cant get it to pick up the button01text, button02text, and button03text variables in the buttons so that they can then be somehow passed to animationforbutton01 and then somehow be passed into the geturl() call.

I am really in need of help on this one.
    .-->
    (
    )_____)

ActionScript Insomniac
    Don't try to pull stuff out of the text on the button. It can be done, but is more trouble than it's worth.

Assign each button a target property, and in the button's onPress function, assemble the URL using that property:

code:

_global.URLBase = 'content.pl?x=';
    _global.onPress = function() {
    var newURL = _global.URLBase + this.target;
    getURL(newURL, "_blank");
    }

button1.target = 'N';
    button2.target = 'D';

button1.onPress = button2.onPress = _global.onPress;