A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: difference between industrial pc and a normal pc

difference between industrial pc and a normal pc

i am currently working on my first kiosk project. i have been advised by the pc dealer to use an industrial pc instead of a normal one. however the price difference between an industrial pc and a normal one is quite huge. furthermore when i asked the guy whats the difference between the 2 pcs, he only said that an industrial pc is more reliable.
    i hope that someone who is in the kiosk business can give me a better explaination. thanks in advanced

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    are we talking about to programe the kiosk job or are we talking about actually running the programe on this pc.

if your client is talking about the later then yes it makes sense to me.

ibm crashes a load less then other pcs for example.

the program is basically a presentation made in director.
    the kiosk will be on for about 12 hours per day and i am worried that a normal pc cant last for such a long period of time ( for the duration of 2 or 3 years).

A Dell Optiplex is $399. How much cheaper or more industrial do you want?

($418 if you need to a cd-rom to load sw. But cheaper on their reconfigured site.)
    -e

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    get a ibm.

Digital-Enthusiast
    An industrial PC is similar to a commercial PC in terms of software and hardware components, such as motherboard, CPU, RAM etc. However, industrial PC’s are designed to operate in really tough conditions, such as harsh, aggressive and dirty environments. An industrial PC does cost more upfront, but overtime the cost is much lower when compared to the cost of regularly repairing or replacing a commercial PC that can’t endure heavy-duty use. Considering the kiosk will be running for 12 hours a day, you’ll greatly benefit from an industrial PC. Long operating hours, bumps, vibrations, hot temperatures and dust would wreak havoc on a commercial PC pretty quickly. For performance and reliability, go the industrial PC.