A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: i have no idea why this isnt working. any ideas?

i have no idea why this isnt working. any ideas?

ive had simmilar problems like this happen before, and its really starting to bug me. basically, a movie clip is supposed to play when a button is rolled over, but when i publish it, the button disappears when its rolled over. included is a fla file with the three items in the library i used to make a button that does this. any ideas or suggestions?

[im using a bought copy of flash mx educational version]
    Attached Files Attached Files

At first Glance of the internal structure of the button I say it could be because on the up state you are using a graphic and on the over state you are using a movieclip and flash may be getting confused.

Not sure if this is the problem but you could try ruling it out by making each of the states graphics or at least identical symbol types.

Hope this helps.

Pixel Magik

hey now, skotot.
    -just checked out your .fla and from what i can tell the problem lies
    in the TWEEN you have nested within the MC that is nested within the overstate of your button. I dulpicated your MC and removed the tween, swapped it with the original, and it worked fine. maybe it's the flip
    motion in the tween. it's a wierd problem, i admit.
    <fp>

well i've got an idea on how to solve it. But not why the movie clip in your button dosen't work. My approach would be like dragging the movie clip onto stage giving it an instance name and on a top layer of that make a rectangle surounding the clip, make that into a button, then drag the up key to hit area key, to make it invisible, and then make use of some actionscript to make the button control the underlaying movieclip instance. "action/movieclip/on mouse event" gotoframe " " and stop/play
    you will have to add some frameaction stop key's in your movie aswell

thank you for your replies and thoughts, they are VERY appreciated. ill play with it tomrrow and let you know what happens. thanks again

For some reason, the font data is not incorporated. So, the static text behaves like dynamic textfield without embed font. Thus, the textbox can not do animation.

When I change the font from "_san" to "verdana", it works.

Banned
    Ericlin, although a static textfield is used, device fonts (contrary to normal standard fonts) CANNOT be embedded, so they wouldn't work if they were masked or tweened.

Thank you oldnewbie

I did not know that those fonts "_sans","_serif" and "_typewrite" are different from usual fonts.

Now I know.

thanks, ericlin and oldnewbie; i changed the font and embedded it and it works like its supposed to. still bizzare that those fonts act like that though.

Banned
    From... http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...sing_fonts.htm

Device fonts, because they are supplied by the system, are managed differently inside Flash. Because of this, they will not work with some of the visual features of Flash. For example:

Device fonts cannot be masked. Although a mask applied to a device font text field will display correctly inside the Flash authoring environment, the final SWF will not display the text block.

Device fonts cannot be alpha tweened. A device font used in a symbol can be motion tweened, but any alpha changes applied to the symbol will not display for the device font's text block.

Device fonts cannot be scaled or rotated. Doing so will display fine in the editor, but will cause text to disappear in the final movie. A text field that has been scaled or rotated - or a text field inside a symbol that has been scaled or rotated - will not display text.

In other words... Simply because device fonts can't be embedded. No other reason!