A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Timing issue

Timing issue

Okay, this might be something so basically simple that I'm overlooking it, or it's much harder than I think it should be. Right now I'm looking for an animation-based solution, but perhaps I should be looking for an actionscript solution.

All I want is a series of boxes, starting dark and then growing in size as the alpha goes to zero, and as the first box fades, another takes its place before the first box is finished. I can get that far.

What's not working for me is that I want this animation to be an endless loop, and yet I always manage to spot a little hiccup as the animation ends and goes back to the beginning, or the timing gets all messy and the boxes no longer fade in a consistent manner from loop to loop.

Does that make any sense? Am I overlooking something obvious? Any help would be greatly appreciated, since my animation skills are limited. Thanks!

try using movie clips, or sprites if you will,
    - I made this!
    http://www.okkle.co.uk - creatures, art, animation and toys!
    Toilet Trumps

Yes, that's what I've been trying to do. I've tried a variety of things. I always start out with just a square (no fill), and have a movie clip where that square expands in size as it fades out. I've done two separate movie clips and tried to time them on the main stage, I've done both squares in one movie clip and placed that on the main stage, and still I get that little "hiccup" as the clip(s) start over when they loop. I've also tried doing motion and shape tweens, and nothing really seems to help smooth it out.

Am I making my problem clear at all?

Control - Z Me, Please.
    This may not be what you are referring to, but try having the end of your loop stop one frame shorter than it currently does. You may simply have the exact same frame at the end so you get two frames running the same thing thus causing a hiccup.
    Latest Cartoon: DEFENDER OF EARTH
    Latest Game: VORTEX
    Me Being a Dork:JediBrian

Okay, tried that, but I'm not sure that's my issue. My problem is that I'm seeing a lag when my animation stops to when it starts the loop over. I've put together a pretty simple version of what I'm trying to do. I want there to always be a new square growing out of the center of the old square, and as it is right now, the first square goes, and the next square appears before the first is gone, but then that's the end of the loop and the second square disappears without having anything new appear into it, and then there's a tiny pause as the first square starts again. I want perpetual, looping square generation. ^_^
    Attached Files Attached Files

Control - Z Me, Please.
    Yeah the problem is you are ending with a blank screen... you have to get the loop so that your movie clip ends one frame before it starts again so you get a continuous loop. So your end will be the tiny square one frame before it is on the first frame...

Take a look at this revision of your fla:

http://www.parksart.com/fadingboxes2.fla
    Last edited by Radar_Brian; 03-18-2004 at 10:28 PM.

Yup, that was exactly what I wanted. ^_^ Okay, seems like I was making it harder than it needed to be.

Thanks a lot for your help!!

Control - Z Me, Please.
    Glad that helped. For once, I was the one helping someone else!

That's one of the great things about boards like this. You start out asking all the questions, and eventually you can help someone else out. Makes you feel good doesn't it?
    Click here to visit Scooter's World, the Chihuahua/Pekinese who thinks she is a Doberman, and has the soul of a true "artiste". Computer graphics, animation, logos, mascots (Vector work a specialty.).