A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Design Advice Needed

Thanks for the reply pea3698.
    I do think is should do an html version. Only problem is that i reeally have no html knowledge. The client wanted the images in the slideshow to fade in and out. That will be no problem for the flash version, but for the html version it might be hard...

Also i was planning on designing the rest of the site in flash now that i have a good idea of how im gonna do the site. But if im gonna do an html version i guess that means i also need to design each page of the site in photoshop and save them as jpg's. Unless there is a way in flash to save the viewable stage as an image file??? That would be really useful.

And so once i have a jpg of each page, is it difficult to overlay transparent html links over buttons (the buttons being part of the jpg image?). OR is there a better way to do the html site? THANKS!

Oh, i can just copy everything in my flash movie and past it into photoshop even tho its vector? I would have to break it up first right? I'm not sure what "guides" and "slices" are... so i dont really understand your explanation. And you say its the lazy way, but does that mean there is a better way that requires more work? Thanks for the reply!

you can take it into photoshop as a vector. Just past it. When i say the lazy way i mean instead of building it all as rastor images in photoshop you are just transfering vector over into photoshop. As for slices that is a bit more complex. I'll try and get some pics up for you tomorrow. Guides: if you have rulers showing in your photoshop doc and grab over the ruler and drag out to the doc a blue line will follow that is a guide. these guides come in handy for measuring. also when you take that doc into imageready the guides go with it. then when you use the slice tool in imageready it makes it a precise art. ill show you this with the images tomorrow.

now if my puppy would go to sleep so could i lol bah g'night
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

Ok, i look forward to your explanation tomorrow. I assume slices and guides deal with formatting links and other stuff (such as an html image gallery) over the site layout and keeping them in the right spot... But, anyway, i guess ill find out tomorrow. Thanks!

Yes, you actually can paste many things into Photoshop from Flash including vector shapes. They don't always come in exactly as they were, though. Bitmaps will translate fine, but vectors will be converted to raster upon pasting.

So if you copy a vector circle from Flash into Photoshop it will create new layer with the circle in it, but there will also be a square white background around the outer boundary of the circle. It will now be raster instead of vector as well.

Another anomaly is that it doesn't seem to want to come in at the right size. In fact I just did a quick test to make sure the information I was giving you was accurate, and what I did was create a circle in Flash which was 136x136. When I pasted it into Photoshop however, it came in at 188x188. Pasting it into a document of different resolutions yielded the same result. I can't explain this one.

You can also take a screenshot of it by hitting the PrintScrn key and then paste that into Photoshop and crop out the unwanted bits, but that would be fairly time consuming if you are going to do it many times.

Another option would be to use Flash to export the image. Just go to File>Export Image and whatever is on the stage and not in a guide layer will be exported in the image. Whatever is in a guide layer will not get exported with the image.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Ok, thanks, but what is a guide layer? Never heard of it even though i know flash pretty well...

Also, in case you dont know, on your website the portfolio button doesnt work.
    Last edited by gragland; 03-18-2004 at 01:39 AM.

You just right-click the layer and choose 'Guide' to make any layer a guide layer. Using guide layers is helpful because it allows you to keep reference elements in your .FLA file without having them export with your final movie. So whatever is in a guide layer doesn't get exported when you publish to .SWF, and also doesn't get exported when you export to other image formats like .JPG, .PNG or .EPS.

As for my site...yeah, I know about that. The whole thing is in the middle of a revamp right now so really the only thing I'm completely sure about is the interface. The rest is a bit up in the air until I get it sorted out. Thanks for the heads up, though.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

lol it occured to me "why not just post a link to a tutorial" see what happens when your tired... anyway here is a tute on slices in imageready
    http://graphicdesign.about.com/libra...dy/blslice.htm
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio