A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: getURL in projector

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    The script from OS 8.5 was compiled as a classic application so that's what is forcing OS X into classic mode.

Ok thanks. I think the only other save option is as a compiled script. I saved the scripts that open the PDF files the same way. I was told that they worked just fine, but maybe they caused classic OS to open too. The person testing it might not have noticed...

Oh wait. I did test them on a different Mac. I'm pretty sure it was only the links that required it to go into classic, not the PDF's.

Think I'll go with getURL & make a note to Safari users. That function's easier than all those scripts.

Thanks again,
    Phyllis
    Last edited by pjutter; 04-08-2004 at 07:52 PM.

GOOD NEWS:

I was wrong. GetURL did work with Safari once the Internet connection was live. It only looked like it wasn't going to work offline (unlike most browsers, it didn't attempt to switch to the page it couldn't load when it was offline) (And then I saw all those other posts saying getURL wouldn't work with Safari....) Oh well. What I get for using less-than-empirical evidence. But it's a tough position for me -- I only have a Windows computer. I can go out and rent a Mac OS 8.5, but the only time I've actually been able to use a Mac OS X was today and that was without an Internet connection! But of course they want me to make a CD-ROM that works on everything. It's challenging to say the least.

But since it's working I'm about to add that SmartWeb function to all my stuff. Thanks so much for helping me with that! And making it a lot simpler to use!! I think I'll use the second version you listed since I've already named a lot of the executables with names that aren't quite the same as the domain name. But I'll probably use the first version of it on the next CD.

Just in case, I might add a note to Mac users that if they have problems they should switch to the IE browser (if they're using something else). Probably my users will be sticking with IE anyway. These are business folk.

Northcode: Thank you so much -- you were an enormous help on this project. If I hadn't found your initial SmartExec function I might have given up in defeat (no way I could get a Mac copy of Flash to work with). And now with the SmartWeb function, every part of my CD is working on both platforms.

Also, in searching through these threads (and I've read a bunch of them lately!), I was amazed at how many of the problems you personally solve for people on here. You are too kind!

The one and only thing I never got figured out was how to make a button-install for the Reader, but I *know* I've got to borrow an OS X for that one. I'll put that on the list of things to learn for future CD's and just write up some basic instructions for this one.

Many many thanks.

Phyllis

Hi guys,

Sorry to drag this back up but I have a cross platform cd-rom and it needs to work on safari, the links work if the default browser on the mac is explorer, but not if its Safari?

My code is a dyn text box set on the frame above it as follows

[code:]
    content.htmlText = "TRAVEL WRITERS TOOL <br />br />Creative Writing and Travel Journals <br /><a href='http://www.link.com'>http://www.link.com</a><br />"
    [/code]

Any suggestions?