A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [speed test] mario-like platform game

Thanks for the reply mate.

Yeah I'm well aware of browser cpu stealing nastyness ( Selecting streaming in the ide gives a good idea of how the game will play in the browser for example ).
    I've just never heard of anyone bumping up the fps to make up for the speed loss, seems a strange way to do it ( I would have thought it would screw up a lot of your timings, handle too fast on an ultra fast machine and may overload the actual Flash player thereby making it run slower overall ).

Squize.

Ihoss
    I get it lapo, and i agree that it is slow, but smooth. since im a sucker for high speeds i want you to speed it up

Here is a solution to leight's error (the grass tile one). make another tile that looks the same and put it anywhere you have something below. this tile should not let you walk through it. that way you will just slide down. unless you want him to hang from his hands (which would be very cool).

Originally posted by Squize
    Thanks for the reply mate.

Yeah I'm well aware of browser cpu stealing nastyness ( Selecting streaming in the ide gives a good idea of how the game will play in the browser for example ).
    I've just never heard of anyone bumping up the fps to make up for the speed loss, seems a strange way to do it ( I would have thought it would screw up a lot of your timings, handle too fast on an ultra fast machine and may overload the actual Flash player thereby making it run slower overall ).

Squize.
    yep, indeed it must be done between certain ranges, otherwise the risk is to screw up things.
    Raising the fps will ask the cpu more power, but the browser eats cpu cycles ... it can lead to a nightmare

I happened to do this sometimes when working with an fps between 20 and 30 and without too many calculations involved. Worked just fine for me.

Ihoss: I agree, it is very smooth, and maybe it's just me that I want more speed
    I've been playing Ut2004demo too much in the past days!!!
    www.gotoandplay.it
    Flash game developers community
    www.smartfoxserver.com
    Multiplayer Flash Server

It seems kinda slow, but that could just be your chooses move speed. Maybe make it faster?

You can sometimes see several objects being removed from screen, add 1 more line on the left side.

The gfx are realy great! But you know that already

SaphuA

It's very smooth, although not as much as I would have liked. Aside from the above the screen problem, has anyone had this happen?
    Attached picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great graphics an char motion, and very smooth, but i found it just a bit too slow.

woohoo St. Nick, that's an awesome screenshot ^_^
    how did you do that? if you can do it here (that part is surrounded by an invisible limit, thanks my little array) so you are surely able to do it everywhere? i'm very curious to see how you did...

ok, i've just written a new version of the scrolling, and added some speed to the little guy, i think it's really better that way... (it's not online, you are warned). i'm glad to hear it's still smooth after all...

[EDIT] oh, i'm able to reproduce it... it's when you are jumping right, and before your slide value reaches 0 again (you probably notice that the character is sliding a little bit while jumpind and walking, it will be fun in the icy world), you decide to go left... it will be easy to fix, i just need to reset the slide value if you hit a wall, like i did when he's sliding/walking...

thanks for the bug, st nick, very useful!
    Last edited by marmotte; 03-23-2004 at 07:11 PM.

Glad I could actually help for once

I jumped up on a high platform and never came down! It still scrolls OK but the character is gone .. sob .. I'm just not a gamer

Originally posted by grunt
    I jumped up on a high platform and never came down! It still scrolls OK but the character is gone .. sob .. I'm just not a gamer
    hehe. and i'm just not a coder too

minor issue, but probably unfixable. noticable speed difference when bg is scrolling and when it is not. I guess at higher fps the issue has become so minor that it has no relevancy.

Be Nice to Newbies
    Marmotte, Beautiful graphics! Also got a few bugs, where I was walking on air. Runs perfect on my 500mhz machine... Anyway, can't wait for the finished game, and keep up the good work...

- Mike
    Current Project:
    MicroGT

Dont have much time to post so ill just make it quick.

Really nice Graphics.
    A bit to slow.
    And right at the end i jumped off a platform out of the screen and never came back i could still scroll though
    nice game though good work!

Sorry, response to early posts by lapo and Squize

Stick this paramater in the Flash object in your html page.

wmode="transparent"

Should get your swf running back up to speed.

Last edited by murraymint; 03-24-2004 at 05:50 AM.
    Some Games
    -----------------------

I like what you have so far. It seems a little jittery for me, but I notice that in my tilebased games, too, so that's probably a flash thing. I think if you increase the character's speed it will be less noticable. Also there's noticable slow down when there are a lot of tiles on screen. I'm just wondering what size tiles you have, because when you use small tiles and screen size like that the engine gets slow. Also that bush disappearing bug is probably due to fact that it's not of a standard tile size, so it covers 2 tiles instead of 1 but is only viewed as 1 tile. Splitting it up into 2 tiles will get rid of the bug.

Nice going so far, though. The graphics are great as usual, too.

everything was sweet, until I hit that blank bit at the end, and my computer ground to a halt.. it went from the fps cap, to about 4 or 5 fps..

Then lisa cried.. and then I cried.. and then maggie laughed.. she's such a trooper.
    Last edited by iopred; 03-25-2004 at 08:30 PM.
    Christopher Rhodes
    squarecircleco.

this is cool game.