A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Communicating between two flash frames

Communicating between two flash frames

I'm having trouble figuring out how to accomplish the following:

There are three frames on the page, a header, footer, and body. All three are seperate .swf files. Now what I'm trying to do is when you click a button in the footer flash file. It tells the body flash file to basically do a gotoandstop(); command.

I believe there is a way to do this, however I'm not to familar with flash and frames.

Can anyone help, great thanks appreciated.

Goodbye...
    You're gonna' use a getURL Action. Something like:

on(release){
    getURL("file_name","frame_name");
    }

You could use a LocalConnection object to communicate between the movies (assuming you use MX or later),

try this thread for an example,

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=481462

ok, but what if i want to use a javascript command location.href to pull back the html address. Now I need to pull back the URL into flash and display it on the screen in flash. NOTE - This is a one time process that only needs to take place when the page is loaded.

use javascript to write out the object and embed tags (document.write) and then supply location.href as the value of a variable in the flash vars parameter.

this thread has a similar example using location.search (instead of location.href)

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...ocation.search

ok, now I'm freakin out. I can't seem to get this to work, maybe because I'm not fully understanding. I have a web page with three frames, the middle frame is an asp page that returns the SQL database results. The variable RN is also a hpyerlink that opens another page with three frames as well but all three pages are flash this time. The URL appears as "http://192.168.0.174/app/v3/RDFrame.htm?RN=1002+"
    ok so this is what I'm understanding so far... I have sent the variable RN from the orignal page to being in the URL of the frame page. So I have this URL in the address bar. I use the folloing javascript to obtain the URL and break it down for use in the program.

function RDFOPEN() {
    var LOCO = location.href.split("?")
    var FILE = LOCO[1].split("+")
    var RN = FILE[0]
    }

I tried using location.search but couldn't get it to work but location.href did. So now I set the variable, my question is this: Where do I put this script? Do I put it in "RD.html" which is the file in the middle frame? RD.html is the flash file that I need to read that variable to it can continue to play the movie, If I put this script in this file I would think that a simple trace() command would work becuase the variable is local but it is not working. I think I'm missing somthing. The SQL is working properly but the HTML/ASP, Flash are not..

I really appreciate your patience in helping me understand this. Thank you very much for your help so far.