A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: {Beta} Tropical Deforestation THE GAME!!!

Can I Have A Hand Up Please? abehar6's Avatar

{Beta} Tropical Deforestation THE GAME!!!

Sup fellow flash people! I just finished a reasearch paper on tropical deforestation, so i thought what the hell, i will do a video game for the enrichment part of it. Im almost done and i need some beta testing. The instructions are identical to frogger, but once you get to the other side, you have a seed from the rainforest and you have to bring it all the way back to the burnt trees. Also when ever you die, eggbert, the professor guy who talks about the rainforest, will say a random phrase about deforestation. Thanks for your time! PS this will be presented at a science fair, not online, so dont bug me about comp speed and file size becuase im using my own computer.
    /T\O (It's a turtle!)
    UU

oh my god i forgot the url
    www.malunk.com/hippie.swf
    sorry u guys
    /T\O (It's a turtle!)
    UU

1.)No bugging about the speed? Its just horrible, i'm running it on a Geforce 3 TI200 and I assume I had about 20FPS

2.)You didn't wrote that yourself, I have seen the exact same game (Other scenes that didn't lag though) on this board! Also with an ambulance and stuff like that, Sorry if i'm wrong!

Ihoss
    the game is a bit slow, you are right.

The game is called Frogger and is probably the most known game ever! There are numerous remakes of Frogger, so you can't scream at him for making another one.

I agree with, schaapke. This dude, abehar6, has posted his games before... He havnt written one single line of coding himself. He just takes the completed fla's here on flashkit and changes the graphics and sounds.... Check his site.. all games there are from the free fla's here....

are you guys gonna yell at me for using frogger, or debug my game. Seriously do you have any comments besides its slow. I dont care about that becuase it will be presented at a science fair on my fast computer. And what the heck do you have against using source files. I actually wrote alot of code to make the trees grow back, and i spent hours getting new graphics and sounds. There is a reason why people post their flas up on flash kit. SO OTHER PEOPLE CAN USE THEM!!!!
    /T\O (It's a turtle!)
    UU

actually, they post the source files so other people can learn from them. not so other people can change its graphics and call it their own game.
    The game play is very slow, and i have a 2.4 GHz comp, and a lot other specs that are above average. are you telling me that my computer is slow?
    If your gonna ask for suggestions, you better be able to take what people say, or don't post it at all.

Actually, they're her so people can learn from them.

Back in my newbie days (if I'm not still a newb) I read my fair share of .fla's just to see how some things are done. If there was an effect I saw that I liked and didn't have the .fla for I replicated it.

The tutorials and the .fla's are there to understand Flash and Actionscript, they're not here so you can swap out sounds and graphics and pass it off as your own. Your teacher (or whoever) will be marking it as your own work, and it isn't. If you use somebody else's work, give credit! I didn't read anywhere: "Based on original Frogger engine by: <Author's name>".

Bottom line, people don't like people who don't give credit where credit's due (how's that for a tongue twister? ).
    That goes for when you're submitting it to Newgrounds, handing it in at school or just showing it to your friends.
    It's especially frowned upon here because a lot of the people on the boards are the same people who submit tutorials and sample .fla's and we don't like people stealing our work!

So, if you're going to use somebody's else's code or graphics or sound GIVE THEM CREDIT!

As for the critique -- it's too slow, and there's no reason for it. Instead of doing traditional hitTesting (which I'm assuming you do) check which 'row' the hippy's on, then only hitTest with the guys on that row. You don't even need to do an _x, _y hitTest, you would only have to test the _x.

It was a bit too hard, too. At least crossing the water was. I got to the other side everytime but I was hopping all over the place on the way back waiting for the rare bottom-row log. I drowned every damn time because of the logs overturning.

I dunno if this post is even going to be worth the bandwidth, as everyone has pretty much said what I want to.

abehar6, you of all people should realise how much it pisses people off when people pass open source as their own, I mean it's not as if it's the first time you've done it.

I'm not even going to comment on the game itself. The original ironclaw linked to sucks big, and your version has actually managed to be worse.

I just hope that at the science fair if anyone praises you for it, you have the good grace to admit that it's actually someone else's code, and that you've not even man enough to credit the original author.

Oh, one last thing which made me giggle "and i spent hours getting new graphics". Yep, must have taken forever to put in trees ripped from Zelda.

Squize.

k i will give the person credit. And also as many times as i have said this... This will be presented at a scince fair, where i will have my fast computer hooked up to a monitor for everyone to play. I wont have it displayed on the internet. Also i know it laggs horribly on slower computers, because to the heavy amout of graphics and sloppy code, but i am not worried about it.
    /T\O (It's a turtle!)
    UU

foxy ninja extraordinaire PENGUINDICTATOR's Avatar
    Using peoples flas without giving them refrence is (in my mind) the same as...GASP...stealing.

To everyone else, there is really nothing you can do, there will always be people who abuse systems meant for good, bending them so that they only benifit themselves.

Shame on you.

I don't think I could ever claim something as "mine" unless I coded the whole thing. I mean asking questions and getting answers are one thing but just changin HALF of the gfx thats another

And the game isnt cpu demanding... what makes the game "lag" and being "choppy" is because it's programmed to move in "stepps", not smooth...... so it doesnt runt smoother on a 500mhz computer than it does on a 9999mhz computer.

I really hope you don't win that science fair..
    Do you want to see my games? My games have about 20 lines of script, and yes, they suck.

Why am I proud of them? Because I did it all by myself.
    Stealing the source = doing nothing. So.. that's not your game.

Also you cant win at this science fair. The thing is, is that this is a science fair, not and original videogame fair. I will give the guy credit, and the whole point of making this game is to teach people about tropical deforestation in a creative way. I know that you guys hate taking source, but i wont make any profit or win anything from it. I am just too lazy to write a completly new frogger game when someone already did it. I WILL GIVE HIM CREDIT!!!! (scout's honor) *eventhough i was never a scout*
    /T\O (It's a turtle!)
    UU

LOL! Come on guys. Give the guy a break.

He never acctually claimed to have written every piece of code himself.

He did not post on this board to hear what you thought about his outstanding code. He didnt even hint he wanted fame and fortune for it. He just wanted to know if there where any bugs, befor the science fair. LOL!

Ok if you rip of an new and original design and then claims it to be your work. And then, with the stolen code, you make millions, get the cover on "Rolling Stone" and every woman you look at. =) (could happen). That would have bugged me too. But hey, I gotta be honest. Frogger has been around since I was a kid. (and thats a long time ago *cough*). Its been recoded over and over again. And with a near to identical result. Why invent something twice?

I guess you other never borrowed a string of code in your life?.

I see the problem but I cant recognize the size of it.

abehar6 I am sure you can make the same game even better if you try. Why dont you use the knowledge from looking at the finished fla files and then make it better. Give it a try friend. Its fun.

Best regards.

Rosenkrantz

um yea what he said
    /T\O (It's a turtle!)
    UU

Scurvy Sea Dog
    Turnarps!

Do sum real work n write a game of your own.

Not only is it painfully slow, i cant believe u ripped the gphx off of other games

Next.
    -- Somethin' Stoopid --
    ZRB

Sue me i stole a f***ing zelda tree. I fixed the laggyness by not making the cars go at random speeds. And about the whole make a game on my own... www.malunk.com/newturtle.swf this is turtle tankz in the making. the reason why i used the frogger source code is because i know how to actionscript,but why the hell should i make another frogger game when there is one already out there. The point of this game is not to be win the most original flash game, its to teach people about tropical deforestation. I cant win anything from this game and i will make no money from it. I dont see why you guys are having such a fit about this.
    /T\O (It's a turtle!)
    UU