A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good guitar to learn on

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Some good points here, but when you decide what to buy, I think you should base your decision on what and how you'll generally be playing.

If you want to jam along with your favorite rock tunes, sure, a cheap electric/amp combo will do you well. You'll have the low action (strings close to the finger or fret board) that is less wear on your sensitive noobie fingers, the distortion and other effects(even when you cock it up, it sounds cool - sometimes) and it looks cool as well.

If you want to actually learn how to play, get proficient, even try and sing a little (your own one-man outfit) you'll have to go acoustic. You'll need to hear your mistakes and learn proper fingering techniques, as well as build strength in your left hand to complete a strong bar chord (without any dead strings) and correct strumming technique (with a pick or plectrum) with your right. I would shoot for a mid range, steel-strung six string, making sure that you're comfortable with the action height and overall tone of the axe and consider light (even ultra-light) strings - they're very easy on your fingertips and have a nice bright sound. Just don't beat on them, 'cause they'll snap, 'specially the top E (the one that looks like cheese wire)

As for this nylon strings idea... I don't know. Sure, it's easy to play, wide frets, big fret board, low tension strings, but they do have a generally high action and in all honesty, they're for plucking, not strumming - and strumming is what people want to do, generally. And unless you get a really nice one, they do look a little naf.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Would a Fender telecoustic, new for $200 be a decent starting point?

Oh, and can someone explain the sizes of strings, what 150/250 means...I'm assuming that's length, and why does that mattter? and .009 vs. .042...I'm assuming that's thickness...the thinner the less they vibrate but easier are to press down on?
    Last edited by PAlexC; 03-30-2004 at 11:40 PM.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Originally posted by PAlexC
    Would a Fender telecoustic, new for $200 be a decent starting point?
    Sure, if you like the sound. Those hybrids, to me, have a rather weak acoustic sound, designed to be plugged in than play unamplified. They sacrifice depth of body (a thin guitar is easier to play standing up) for richness, fullness of sound. Of course, throw a small cube amp into the mix and you've got no worries, and your distortion. You can be a rock star or a folk hero, whichever mood you're in.

Also, with Fenders, check where it's made and only buy one that's been manufactured in the US. They have plants all over the place and some of the materials they use are a little dodgy outside the home country.

Oh, and can someone explain the sizes of strings, what 150/250 means...I'm assuming that's length, and why does that mattter? and .009 vs. .042...I'm assuming that's thickness...the thinner the less they vibrate but easier are to press down on?
    I have no idea what 150/200 means, but .009 etc is, as you say, the diameter of the string. Ultralights start with a .009 top E, mediums start at .014 for the top E (I think). The thinner the string, the less it vibrates, true, but while it is new, thin strings have a very bright (treble) sound (thicker strings get a richer, meaty ring. Thinner is is easier to play due to it needing less tension from the bridge to the nut, less force to press, but (I think) they're harder to play from a fingering point, demanding very precise placement of your fingertips, not to bend the note. Also, when lights die, you will know - the sound just ain't right. And they die fairly quickly.
    Last edited by hurricaneone; 03-30-2004 at 11:51 PM.

banned
    Yeah pure American Fenders are a lot more expensive....

Some may be like American bodies, but Mexican hardware and paint...which makes it a lot cheaper. Lead paint makes it sound different. Don't lick the Mexican ones...

Originally posted by uglynora@rcn.com
    Yeah pure American Fenders are a lot more expensive....

Don't lick the Mexican ones...
    Unless your'e doing a gig and playing some KISS tunes...

Tony

Ok...I haven't made a decision yet, I'm just throwing this out there, so no one jump on my back for going in over my head.

Standard Telecaster or Standard Stratocaster? Differences? Preferences? The fat strat is like $50 more...could make for a bit nastier noise later on. Worth it or no? I have no idea how much of a difference a humbucker makes, though I do know what one is now.

That metallic sage color sucks me right in...

Oh, and how do I know if it's made in Mexico, I don't see it listed as part of the specification for any of them.
    Last edited by PAlexC; 03-31-2004 at 02:51 AM.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog

Just get something that you feel comfortable with at first, just as long as its in good nick and not some cheap "clone".

As for the Strat, Tel, Gibson. thing etc, this is something you will appreciate in time when you decide what type of music you want to play, as they all give different tones (IE: Strat usualy used in hard rock Gibson Used in Heavy metal etc) Ibanez, Rickanbecker they all give different tones. So I wouldnt worry about this yet, unless you know what type of music you want to play.

Strings are another thing you will get used to in time, and youl find ones you feel comfortable with, I like Dean Marley's Light on my electric, but if you go too light you wont get the type of sustain you may want....Blah Blah Blah.

As for My 12 string taylor I have medium gauge, cause I like finger picking on it, and theyre great for strumming as well, but that was after trying about a few dozen gauges, give them and you time to find your style.

Tony

I disagree with everyone here (well after reading the first few posts anyway)

Go cheap, the cheapest you can find. You're learning, you don't need to spend big bucks yet.

Your first guitar should be a pile of crap, but its special, because its your first

You might have learned E, A, D and then you might get bored (of playin Beatles songs) so you may ditch it and learn the bass, or drums (thats how it usually happens)

So go cheap, then when you can play a bit, step up, get something a little better and something that'll make a bit more of a hole in your pocket.

Go to your nearest pawn shop and pick something up cheap.

If it has to be new, then Fender do beginner packs, a nice safe option.

My first was a Satelite (sp?) jazz master copy... ahh those were the days Fret rattle on every part of the neck, tuning heads that were slacker than a very slack thing covered in slackening agent... but I loved it

Had a paisely scratch plate too!

UKULELE

the easiest (and cheapest) way to learn the guitar is with the ukulele. its easy to travel with... a high end uke is about 200$ (they can get MUCH more expensive but this is a nice average)

joni mitchel first learned on a uke George harrison carried 2 with him everywhere he traveled with the band.

the uke realy simplifies the process of learning guitar theory. simplicity and sweetness of tones are huge attractions to the uke.

go samick... quality cheap instruments... i have 4 samicks, acoustic 12 string, ukulele, acoustic bass and nylon clasical acoustic

you can buy a nice samick uke for 50$ its solid and you can take it anywhere, and on down the road, after you have trained your mind and fingers move up to a guitar, or a 12 string...
    ///Devereaux|||

Anything. Anytime. Anywhere. aliensynergy's Avatar
    Ok...I haven't made a decision yet, I'm just throwing this out there, so no one jump on my back for going in over my head.

Standard Telecaster or Standard Stratocaster? Differences? Preferences? The fat strat is like $50 more...could make for a bit nastier noise later on. Worth it or no? I have no idea how much of a difference a humbucker makes, though I do know what one is now.

That metallic sage color sucks me right in...

Oh, and how do I know if it's made in Mexico, I don't see it listed as part of the specification for any of them.
    Like XU1 said. Go with what feels more comfortable to play. If you want to play the heavier [distorted] sound, try to get a guitar with a double humbucker in the bridge position.

Guitarists usually go by the highest gauge string...I.E if I go buy strings I ask for a set of 10s...which goes from gauge 10 highest upto 46 lowest. The 09 gauge is a lighter [softer, easier to bend], generally speaking, the heavier the gauge, the more difficult to play BUT the better the sound. I had a friend who used 12s, it was impossible to play lead on, but sounded so chunky for rhythm. I once in my early days tried 08s GREAT for vibrato, but I snapped strings a lot and it was almost difficult to play coz they were to soft.
    Just to confuse things, you can also get custom sizes, lighter high E B G strings, heavier D A E strings. Best of both worlds, I did use that for a while too. Now I am straight up 10s.
    synergy:theory
    it'll be finished someday.

Originally posted by SimpleSurfer
    UKULELE
    You have no idea how many people in Brazil make a living playing one of these. Samba beach tunes for everyone.

Personally, I can't get past 'em being a bit of a joke, but that's just me.

Originally posted by hurricaneone
    Personally, I can't get past 'em being a bit of a joke, but that's just me.
    and me it seems

Originally posted by Markp.com
    and me it seems
    Aw come on how can you two not resist "tip toe"..

Tony

Aghhhhh, my eyes, MY EYES!!!

That really is offensive, man - I'm having my coffee and I'm confronted with THAT!!

That man is unequivocal proof that talent and fame can be mutually exclusive.

Originally posted by hurricaneone
    Aghhhhh, my eyes, MY EYES!!!

That man is unequivocal proof that talent and fame can be mutually exclusive.
    LOL..not to mention the natural attribute of **Good Looks**..

Tony

I tend to agree with markp.com above. go cheap.

actually if you're just learning, i'd almost be inclined to get an acoustic. you'll build up your finger strength a bit more and get used to a wider neck. when you're comfortable with that then switch to an electric package ... fender, like markp said, makes a reasonable one.

I started out on a 6 string alvarez. cheap (about $150 if that ... probably can pick something similar up at a pawn shop for half that though). not the greatest sound, but good enough to learn on.

a year later I bought a fender kit (amp, guitar and a few pedals) off a friend for a few hundred. playing the acoustic first made playing the electric a breeze. just make sure you keep practicing on both. I didn't touch my acoustic for about a year after I got my current guitar (les paul studio ... love it) and when I finally picked it up my fingers started cramping after 10 minutes or so. I don't play that often though (maybe a couple of times a week) so that could be part of it too. but I just wasn't used to the thicker neck and heavier strings.

then again, if you don't care to ever play an acoustic then by all means dive right into "phase 2" and pick up a cheap kit and work your way up from there. but I highly recommend starting off on an acoustic.

dont knock the uke... i can play 8 dif stringed instruments well, but what goes with me when i travel? not my mandolin, not my violin, not my Bass, not my 12 string, not my Les Paul, not my martin acoustic (or my samick acoustic) def not my cello.... its allways the uke. a lot like Ganja, the Ukulele is a gateway instrument. They are cheap and simple to produce great sounds... and all of the elements to the guitar are present. finger picking, scales, music theory, chord theory, struming, everything you need to be a great guitar player can be learned on the uke with a minimal inve$tment. did i mention its a helluva lot easier to play? 4 strings 4 fingers. If you own a guitar, i challenge you to buy a uke.

But what do i know? im just a howlie stuck in the middle of the sea.

Aloha
    ///Devereaux|||

Elvis Costello was on the Craig Kilborn show for an interview, and just happened to be carrying a Ukulele around with him, for no apparent reason.

Just because Craiggers suggested it, he whipped it out and played a song, and I have to tell you, as talented as I already know he is, he blew me away.

I'll post pictures of my new baby later. I'm undecided on keeping it and sticking with this at all. Chord theory, all that is a bit complex for a simple trumpet player like myself. (I did fiddle around with the bass in high school too.)
    Last edited by PAlexC; 04-01-2004 at 04:09 PM.

chord theory is easy realy.... pull down a "chord forms" chart... if you learn that page... you will know allmost every possible chord (that sounds worth ish) once you know the form, you can move it to any key. easy. scales and music theory are more complex. dig into it... in a day you will be making cool music
    ///Devereaux|||

Well, I already picked up the riff from Suedehead.