Some good points here, but when you decide what to buy, I think you should base your decision on what and how you'll generally be playing.

If you want to jam along with your favorite rock tunes, sure, a cheap electric/amp combo will do you well. You'll have the low action (strings close to the finger or fret board) that is less wear on your sensitive noobie fingers, the distortion and other effects(even when you cock it up, it sounds cool - sometimes) and it looks cool as well.

If you want to actually learn how to play, get proficient, even try and sing a little (your own one-man outfit) you'll have to go acoustic. You'll need to hear your mistakes and learn proper fingering techniques, as well as build strength in your left hand to complete a strong bar chord (without any dead strings) and correct strumming technique (with a pick or plectrum) with your right. I would shoot for a mid range, steel-strung six string, making sure that you're comfortable with the action height and overall tone of the axe and consider light (even ultra-light) strings - they're very easy on your fingertips and have a nice bright sound. Just don't beat on them, 'cause they'll snap, 'specially the top E (the one that looks like cheese wire)

As for this nylon strings idea... I don't know. Sure, it's easy to play, wide frets, big fret board, low tension strings, but they do have a generally high action and in all honesty, they're for plucking, not strumming - and strumming is what people want to do, generally. And unless you get a really nice one, they do look a little naf.