A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: guitar tabs

guitar tabs

Hi everyone, i want to become the best guitarist in the world. where can i get guitar tabs? (no joke)
    * I could be banned at any time... [/evp]

ebay if you want

"Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

wiggle your jiggle TrytoAnimate's Avatar
    I like http://www.powertabs.net/

You download the program, then you can download tons of tabs. You can have it play a midi file in time with the tablature too, which is really cool. Not to mention it's great for making your own. Check it out .

EDIT: Whoops, that was just the link to the tabs. The program is here .
    Last edited by TrytoAnimate; 03-31-2004 at 05:05 PM.

Serve Cold - Keep On Ice Mr. Tackle's Avatar
    The majority of tab websites get theres from the olga database. It has just about everything you want.

Tablature is a great way for you to learn, cause you can just pick a song you already have and keep listening over and over again until you get it right.

I find myself just googling (whatever band name) tabs, this usualy works everytime.

I find www.guitaretab.com to be the most useful.

Re: guitar tabs

Originally posted by gshock
    Hi everyone, i want to become the best guitarist in the world. where can i get guitar tabs? (no joke)
    If you wanna be the best guitarist in the world I would suggest to learn how to read music first...

Tony

Re: Re: guitar tabs

www.tabcrawler.com is generally awesome... watch out for the five different versions of the same song... with only one being anywhere near correct of course!

practice makes perfect

Powertabs is definently your best bet. They are extremely accurate, as they have to be approved by actual guitar players before they become availible for download. The main advantage is being able to actually play along with the song, great for timing. You can also practice your impromptu solo's over and over and over with perfect backing. Powertab dude, it's been the biggest thing for me playing guitar....

Powertab.
    subgenius.com

For most tabs I use Guitar Notes, except for when looking for some specific bands I use sites just for them.

h
    On That Note Forums - 1200 members and counting...
    "...our focus remains on the music."

Running Plodding & Limping SpockBert's Avatar

Re: Re: guitar tabs

Originally posted by XU1
    If you wanna be the best guitarist in the world I would suggest to learn how to read music first...

Tony
    why?

I'm sure theres plenty of fantastic guitarists that can't read music, Hendrix, Clapton are just two that I know of for example.

while its a useful tool, its still more about what you can play, not what you know.

I'd be careful with the tabs though, i've found that most of the online ones are wrong or incomplete.

Re: Re: Re: guitar tabs

Originally posted by SpockBert
    why?

I'm sure theres plenty of fantastic guitarists that can't read music, Hendrix, Clapton are just two that I know of for example.

Whilst they may have not learnt how to read music in the beginning they certainly did later on.

My suggestion is better early than later.. he can still play using tabls but if you wana get serious and play with others and in the studio, you wont be able to escape it.

Tony

It's only useful to learn how to read music if those you play with know how to as well. I know how to read and write music, and while it's great for me, my bandmates can't read it, so it proves useless when we play or record.

Adding to the above list, I believe none (or most) of the Beatles were able to read music either.

h
    On That Note Forums - 1200 members and counting...
    "...our focus remains on the music."

well if he wants to be a session musician where times/moneys a factor then yeah its essential.

but if he (like most people who start out in my opinion) just wants to play the songs he likes and jam along to other people its really not necessary.

if thats the case then I reckon you're better off spending as much time as you can with your fingers on the strings learning the tunes and developing your own sound and style rather than reading theory books.

how many of the greatest solos ever are just using the pentatonic scale anyway?

baaaah...don't need to learn all that fancy mixolydian stuff!

ha ha ha...go lightning boy!

http://www.mats2go.com/images/Large/08-03-2.jpg

holy cow, can you believe it, Ralph Macchio is 42 now

LOL you rogues....I beg to differ...

Tony

Originally posted by SpockBert

how many of the greatest solos ever are just using the pentatonic scale anyway?

Joe Satriani...

Tony

insane root
    Where do you get these tabs and midi's from?

music theory is really important, learning to read music less so. If you're going to be playing with people who only use music notation then you might need to but the reality is that music notation was written for a time when every nuance of a piece of music had to be expressed in the notation, these days you can pop in a CD and everything you need to know is on there. Tab is a good short hand for people who need a bit of help with songs, it's alo a great way to map out scales and modes. I know music notation and have never used it for anything, there are shorthand notations like tab available for most popular instruments that do away with every nuance of a piece and just act as a guide, your ear fills in the rest.

Even if you're in a studio with other people who know music notation as a guitarist you should be able to pick up what they're playing just by listening to them play it.

But if you really want to be serious about music then you should definitely learn to read music, most serious people will want to learn other instruments anyway.

but from the beginning you should definitely learn music theory.

oi
    Mysongbook.com nothing beats it... requires a copy of guitar pro... but the ability to search thousands of artists and find perfect files with ALL tracks is worth 60$.

imagine, your band wants to learn a song... you go online... download one file, that has all tab (and standard notation) for every instrument in the song. it will transcribe it to a dif tuning, or to a dif instrument for that matter (i play the ukulele) and play it all for you via midi.

if you want to write tab, it will again play your tab for you.
    best ive found after playing stringed instruments for 10 years and searching for tab online. back in the old days we didnt have so many options, this is my new fav...has any one else tried this and found other sites/progs to be better?

btw there is a special section on there of exercizes.
    -aloha
    ///Devereaux|||