A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: flash games book

flash games book

when i read a flash book,i know how the game function but when it comes to coding myself,especially when only a game with 100+ lines,i often got got stuck and screw up the whole thing.I often had to read the whole book serveral times.Am i not suitable for games programming?Does anyone of u here experience the same when starting to learn.I feel like a loser,dunno how to make games after reading the book.The book simplify it alreadly but i still have problems making games.What u all think?
    hahaha

You dont learn how to make games from books. Just keep making the games. Nobody makes great games at the beginning, but keep doing them and your games get better.

tonypa is right.

Reading a book on driving won't make you instantly able to drive.

It takes practice, trial and error and time.

Just because you stall the first few times you set off, doesn't mean you should give up
    Some Games
    -----------------------

free-webmaster-resource.com deamothul's Avatar
    There is just much much more then only buying a book and expecting to code away and undestand it all. Some concepts are so big they wont even fit into a book.

You learn more and more everytime you go at it, just NEVER!! cut and past code and just use it. Try to understand things before moving on.

thxs guys,last time i always give up when i met the problem but now i'm more willingly to dissect the problem.Thxs
    hahaha

I am a graphic designer, when I started with Flash 3 I didn't know anything about coding, ActionWhat? But now I am learning math and physics, all things I never took in college or highschool. I got the most out of Moock's ActionScript the Definitive Guide, and also the good folks here helped out tremendously. Stick with it, start with small things, then apply them to projects of larger scale. You can do it. Also, like you said disect your projects into functions, you'll be fine. Hang tight little buddy.

hey hey, i was like that when starting to learn tile based meathod of creating games.i tried, and failed to understand the concept, 4 or 5 times! I tried tonypa's tuts once, and the other times it was outsideofsociety.

i decided now that i know some more about actionscript that i will give it a go again. now im starting to understand it nd change stuff

the point of my blab: keep trying and eventually u will get it!

kendude: that's a great actionscript book! i got it too

Flash MX rocks!
    Same thing with me. I have koolmoves...I've read about 5 different tutorials on actionscripting and making games. I still have no clue.

thxs guys,u all give me the motivation of carry on...
    hahaha