A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Silentype Interactive V03

Silentyper

Silentype Interactive V03

This site is almost complete.
    Ive had some problems getting the animations to run smoothly.. Ive taken everyone's advice below into account.. and I think I have succeeded..

EVERYONE!!! please tell me if this site runs smoothly on your system.. and if it does not, then any pointers to make it do so.

I need critiqued.

Thanks for everyones ideas thus far...

Enjoy.

http://www.geocities.com/silentype123
    Last edited by Brorobin56; 04-20-2004 at 03:35 PM.

I would suggest that you get better hosting. Geocities's features are limited. Hosting is inexpensive nowadays.

As for the moment, the bandwidth limit on your site has been exceeded.

regards,
    venio
    Flash Kit Moderator . Duke University
    Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology

I like the colours, graphics and layout of your site. The transition effects run too slow on my machine (pentium 1.7 ghz 500 meg RAM 32Mg Graphics card). The scrollers are too slow also. Would be a very nice site if it was fast and smooth

Symsonic Design Studios
    yea... change the hosting.. check edatarack.com 2.95 a month... and i am running 3.2 ghz pentium 4 512 ram and the transition lag for me too..

pm me, I can hook you up with subdomain for one of my accounts if you want

I'm thinking that your frame rate is slow...what frame rate is it at?

I like the way it looks, but the lagging kills me.
    I really enjoy forgetting. When I first come to a place, I notice all the little details. I notice the way the sky looks. The color of white paper. The way people walk. Doorknobs. Everything. Then I get used to the place and I don't notice those things anymore. So only by forgetting can I see the place again as it really is.

Silentyper
    The frame rate is 40 in the entire movie.. there are also imported swf's for each section.. i don't know what is wrong with it.

Any suggestions?

my first suggestion would be that you have way too many timelines running at the same time .. personally i feel that running 1 timeline at 40fps will choke many users machines regardless .. so, in order to fix the problem, assuming you are duplicating movie clips would be to delete the onEnterFrame when the animation is over - or if you are loading the swf's you may want to make sure you unload them out of the main movie when the anim is complete, not to mention you can also shorten the animation in the transitions - just a few suggestions, good luck

-park jin

Silentyper
    will changing all of the animations to actionscripted movement (_x and _y.) make the movie alot smaller and allow for all systems to be able to run this site smoothly?

the silentype

in my opinion, a slower fps (compared to 40fps) will give you a consistent playback across different end user's machines - on the other hand, a lower framerate will not be as smooth of an animation than one with a higher framerate - so ultimately it is a judgement call on your decision making, hopefully the decision you make will keep the end user in mind ;-)

in your case, you should be able to keep the transition effect you have, i think the only problem is that you have too many timelines running at the same time - in order to cut down the number of timelines you may want to scale up the size of each of your movieclips (the circles that float/mask around) that create your transition, that way you have the same effect, but just not as many circles (timelines) playing at the same time.

Just a thought, hope this helps

-Park Jin

FYI, the transitions choked on both my G4 Powerboook and my G5 at work

The masking effect is taking away lots of processing power.
    Nothing to do with FPS.

Nice site though! I mean it.

Silentyper
    its almost done.. running much quicker now i think.. am i right?

I dunno, it's still slow on some of the transitions:

1.8gHz
    1gb ddr ram..
    128 mb Radeon 9600 pro.

On DSL, I shouldn't be having any slowdowns whatsoever. It's just a processor heavy transition.

Nice site! I think the transitions are slick but are pretty heavy on the processor. Im on a 3.2 with 2gigs of ram and a 9800pro on a cable connection and it slowed in areas where you had multiple animations goin at once. Other than that very nice.

Good luck to ya!
    Peece,
    Mel